Have you seen Coraline, the stop-motion 3D film that was based on Neil Gaiman's book Coraline? Having watched it for the third time this evening while in a drunken stupor of yet more allergy medicine, this time around I didn't follow the story line but instead...watched. I studied every detail and wondered...how?
And what a treat to find that this time the movie was followed by a short Making of Coraline film. Almost everything was handmade. Starting with Neil Gaiman handwriting the story into a book, using several different color inks depending on what pen was on hand, to the handmade puppets and little hand knit sweaters. It could take days for a three second piece as they posed and shot each tiny movement.
Big deal? Probably to some. But pure magic to me. I wonder how many people who have seen the movie realize the true artistry that it took to create this film, and others like it. The collaboration of many artists all working together to bring this story to life. And if you watch the movie with this in mind your senses swirl in a colorful dance of music and imagery (or perhaps it was the allergy meds).
And it reminds me of childhood dreams when I'd watch The Muppets on tv. Open-mouthed I fell in love with the characters Animal and the mice. And on one occasion when they showed the puppeteers working to bring these characters to life, I fell in love. I wanted to be a puppeteer. I wanted to bring something to life like that. I forgot about that dream. But Coraline brings that back to mind. I don't think I'd have the patience to work on something so intrinsic but wow....one can surely dream.
Aren't those movies amazing?! I have to say though that Coraline gave me some nightmares for a few nights after I watched it... ; ) Have you watched The Fantastic Mr. Fox? Also a wonderful stop-motion film! When I was a child growing up in Germany, we had a series that was done with marionettes - I LOVED it! Thanks for that memory!! Love, Silke
ReplyDeleteI always loved the movies that had Ray Harryhausen's stop action effects in them. I find them much more charming and interesting than the computer generated effects that we look at and go *Ho-Hum* today. There was a special on his work, and he explained how LONG it took to shoot the scene with the seven headed Hydra in "Jason and the Argonauts"......amazing! The dedication and vision to know how the piece would look (a few seconds, to a minute!) after days of slow work.....
ReplyDeleteYes, I love the olf techniques much more!
XXOO!!
Anne
okay...adding this to my movie list right now !
ReplyDeletedid you see pans labyrinth....
that was a movie that visually did me in !
I heard a bit of a wet blankety thing going on at the end of this post babe, I don't think I have the patience...now now...start small if this is a dream...I would go to the local library and see what I could find on it and see if that sparks anything... do a search on the being of pupperteering.. and when Lion King the play came I saw Julia Tameron think that's her name work at the field museum...OMGosh she had the Asian cultures of pupperteering and how great it was to see the construction of the pieces..some just tyed together..Oh heck now you got me thinking about that but I was as you said pure inspiration...
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna have to watch that!! I have always loved puppets too! As a shy kid, doing puppet shows was a way to express myself. As a mom, everytime I came across a puppet in a store I would have to grab it and sneak up on my son with it. That didn't go over too well as he got older!! But I had fun!! I still make the stuffed animals that still live in our house talk on a regular basis!! I must be nuts!! Or not???
ReplyDeleteAfter seeing the movie....and the short...I want to make a Coraline doll. Now...to play the movie on my computer some day...and get some good screen shots so I can make one kinda like it.....
ReplyDeleteI've seen a few for sale and they are junk.....I know I can do better.... and fully intend to do so...
Have to catch up with your posts tomorrow. Hope your feeling better! Now it was my turn - I hit the couch today - all day!
ReplyDeleteAll I can think is Hans Christian Anderson! Loved all that he did... the little paper cutouts... the tales...
ReplyDelete