"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Doctor Visit

Remember when I said I had been ignoring all the signs my physical self was sending until I received a strange call from my doc saying I was overdue and should come in? Well I went yesterday and our conversation went like this:

"Look doc I took my blood pressure at home so I have a base reading to keep you honest. I'm sure your equipment is faulty." I smile; he smirks as he takes my reading and finds it higher than I said.
"See what did I tell ya, faulty equipment designed to justify medicine prescriptions". I smile wider; he smirks with a crooked eyebrow.
"Well you scare me that's why my pressure is so high" I smile; he smiles as he says "I truly doubt you are afraid of me"

So he sits back in his little chair asking me the regular old questions and I start to answer and instead say "Look doc let's cut to the chase, you know me I know me, why don't you just give me one of those miracle pills they glorify on infomercials and I can lose the weight that's raising my blood pressure" Giving him a huge smiling grin.
He laughs and says "well now, unfortunately the only thing that'll work is good old fashioned exercise, eating right and self-discipline".

I looked horrified. Self-discipline. S-e-l-f  d-i-s-c-i-p-l-i-n-e.  What the hell is that? So I looked it up.

Self-discipline: correction or regulation of oneself for the sake of improvement

That's it. Sounds simple enough. But if IF I had it wouldn't I already have lost weight, been healthy, been an artist, been traveling around the country on my bike with a guitar strapped to my back & the kid & dog in a sidecar? 

So I tell him it won't work. I have no motivational reason to inspire myself to treat myself well. Trust me I've tried everything from 'my son needs me' to 'there are lots of things still to do'. So I agree to the prescription again with the promise that I'll try taking the pills everyday if he'll promise that he'll get me off them as soon as I can. So we agree that my motivation to lose weight will be to get off the drugs. We both know it won't work. But our time is up.

So before leaving I ask "why'd you call me anyway?"
He says "I really don't know. Your file showed up on my desk so I figured it was time for you to come in."
I turn back and say "do you believe in signs?"
He looks at me and says "Yes I do"

3 comments:

  1. From someone who worked medical files....DO what your doctor says.
    I am trying hard to, to cut back, cut out salt, and lose weight. While I do not suffer hypertension, I am living in fear of the next set of labs for hyperlipidemia, with the stuff I eat and cook.
    I have found an exercise bike in front of the TV good. (it doesn't *seem* like exercise) I like being outside so I walk *with my camera*---not exercising, looking for photos.
    I tell you Elena, artists are the most bullheaded bunch with ME at the top of the list.
    Let's do this together, okay?
    You try and be good and so will I!
    now I'm off to a cup of hot tea instead of the coffee with pure cream and a heaping tablespoon of sugar.....sigh......
    And yes, your Doc received a sign.

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like i'm going to have to make you hike up two hills...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, some better eating and family exercise will be good for all! When I was young, we took early evening bike rides as a whole family. Really good. And everyone eating healthier will benefit everyone. You aren't alone in this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!