It was a beautiful day today. Sunny, windy, warm. And I wasted this day doing....nothing. Not in a good way either. Have you ever watched ants as they rush back and forth in straight lines forming little ant highways? And there's always a wayward one running in circles; not quite connecting to the flow? I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I'm the wayward ant.
I literally drove around aimlessly today. Driving for several miles just to make u-turns and end up where I started and turning in a different direction for more miles to repeat my actions. And I'm sure these shenanigans looked amusing from up above-with the heavens wondering what I was doing. Hell, I was wondering what I was doing. And the thoughts in my head resembled the lottery machines on the evening news; balls bouncing all over the place. And sometimes I stopped to walk amongst the plants at the nursery or through garage sales without truly being present. Getting angry with myself as I mentally checked off the things I should be doing instead of wandering aimlessly.
But I couldn't focus. My thoughts kept pulling back to awakenings, doors and puzzles. As in:
As I wander amongst strangers and overhear their conversations I'm starting to pick up a recurring theme. It seems that people who are losing their jobs are taking this "opportunity" to recreate their lives and do what they've always wanted to do. And much of these have to do with the arts or with something that serves humanity. Awakenings? Hmmm.....
Why are creatives drawn to doors? Most of my "non-creative" friends look at me oddly and ask what my obsession is with doors. Or I'll gush about an awesome weathered door and they look at me like I'm nuts. But if I share a door with a "creative" friend, they understand without my saying anything. Doors=possibilities? Hmmm....
And, at the risk of sounding like a stalker, I carefully studied Beth this weekend. Although a talented artist, she seemed to be searching for the right combination in her "word lock". Frowning she created one beautiful piece after another. And she still looked like a freshman desperately trying to find the right combination that releases the tumbler in the locker padlock. And on the second day she picked up her camera. And as she fluttered about the room I became aware of a different glow about her. The frown was gone and it was as if the world had disappeared as she was now focused on this apparent love in her life. And I realized she had found the combination that opened the door of awareness for her. Things clicked into place.
I suppose that's what it is for each of us. Like the game shows on tv where contestants need to find the right combination through obstacle courses in order to open the door to the next level. And perhaps that's why I'm drawn to doors. Because finding the right combination is not a means to an end but a means to a new level of awareness. And perhaps that's what others out there are discovering as well. And perhaps my wayward wanderings weren't so wayward afterall. All these disconnected thoughts seem to be intermingling somehow.
But for now, I will continue banging my head on my locker door as I search for the right combination....
.....I feel that I'm close
Elena, With your writings here on the blog, if I may say are like your personal doors opening for you... I suggest going back and looking over the posts and give them a door... you have made so many wonderful discovers and so willing shared them with all your Peeps, as Mary Beth Shaw would say that it could be come a very helpful book for other...scary as that sounds when you look at it but it might be just what it is the wanderings and along the way the dream comes true for you.. Plus I sinces you urgency and pain as sometimes to get it right and understand it better but what I've learned is through our personal pain we grow so much..sad as it sounds that it a good thing to feel and live through our emotional states of happiness and pain... to your guidances in Beth..thank you as you continue to share and teach us all. Peace my friend.
ReplyDeleteElena, we ALL have those doors, and also the *ant-in-a-circle* days! (as was mine yesterday!) I really believe being a creative means learning to accept these types of days, when our mind is not yet ready to process the art, when we are searching (and we don't necessarily know for what), when we need that next door for the creative push!
ReplyDeleteI loved the doors in the French Quarter in New Orleans; old, weathered, paints of all colors being exposed slowly as layer after layer peeled away. Each would reveal more underneath until it was a beautiful grey, worn wood.
Ornate carvings to old market doors.....wonderful.
I also believe part of the creative process is being in a state where you feel you have *found* everything and then being in the wanderer state again. Observing.
I've rattled enough.....
I think I will be an observer today! ;)
XXOO!!
Anne
your writing is brilliant....and "doors" are such a huge meaning for me, too....hence the more doors name of my blog url :)
ReplyDeleteand thank you for writing about me and seeing me in a different light...how awful if you had only seen me in my frustrated painter mode...
and yes, keep hand banging my sweet friend....it works after awhile...even though i feel as women we are told to be good at many things....i think one thing is enough for me...and finally i'm okay with that !!!
Doors? Love beveled glass.
ReplyDeleteI struggle all the time with locked gates. I can see past them but when I finally get through there's another one there. Seems quite different knowing where you want to be and not knowing behind the doors. We've hit the age where people reinvent themselves anyway, without losing a job. Semi-retirement or security to start fresh. I fear not finding that security. Don't mean to babble on...