"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, April 16, 2010

Heebie Jeebies?

Riding the motorcycle has given me the opportunity to explore areas I'd previously ignored. If we're not in a hurry to make time, we very often take the back roads that lead us through small towns. Places that soothe my heart. When my soul feels crushed by too much of society's stimuli, it's good to see that there are still places with front porches, one stop sign, one gas station, and kids running in the street.

During these rides I discovered the antique stores or salvage yards. Although I really enjoy the quaint shops typical to many of the small tourist towns, I much prefer the true antique stores. The ones owned by the type of people who could well sit on one of the shelves and look like they belong. The ones who are so eccentric you want to perch on the stool next to them and just...listen. I bet they have lots of stories to tell.

And their stores are the ones that hold the most interesting things. I usually walk in and stand in the center and just take it all in. I'll walk wherever I feel pulled towards. My son hates these places; has no desire to purchase something previously owned. And I tell him it's not so much about the purchase but about the stories in these places. And he warns that I may bring something back with me one day. And I wonder. Could things actually hold a piece of...'something'?

I must admit there are things you walk by that just don't feel right. There's that horse saddle I touched that hit me with a wave of sadness I just couldn't shake for the rest of the day. There's that small bathroom on the second floor of an old home with the antique dolls that raised the hair on my arms each time I tried to cross the threshold. I backed out and left. And there's others; but could it be? Could something attach itself to a material object just waiting for a new home?

And one of my favorite places was also the wackiest place. There were old weathered items that seem to have been salvaged from a gypsy carnival. By weathered I mean some were beheaded or missing arms or eyes. There were mannequin torsos 'planted' in the ground. And in the center was an amazingly old tree with a huge trunk and lots of branches that would be the perfect prop for a movie about witch rituals. And there were masks, gargoyles, friezes with scary faces hidden among the brush. And the place just felt 'wrong'.

You know that panicky feel when you realize you're by yourself in a corner and can sense you're being watched. But I was in my biker gear, I couldn't very well come screaming down the path that I had the heebie-jeebies. But the guy had amazingly old weathered iron gates and wooden doors. And there's one little building that was always the creepiest. It housed alot of oriental doors, things that looked like pews, strange sculptures and hidden in the back was something that looked like a confessional. That had the strongest vibe of them all. And even I knew to keep my distance.

When we went to visit last weekend, the guy was gone. Yuppies had taken over and slowly started clearing out alot of the clutter. Much of it is still there but not all. I felt sad that I'd never really talked to the other guy. But he was creepy, in a vibey sort of way, but I bet he had great stories. Or maybe not. Many of the mannequins were gone and much of the items in the scary building were gone. But the confessional was still there. And felt just as it always had. Not as strong and I wondered if it was confused. Or perhaps had lost some of its strength as the collection of items were distributed.

I noticed hubby kept a close eye on me that day. I asked what gives and he said he wanted to make sure I didn't buy something that would bring 'something' back with it. I laughed and said "so you feel it too"? So atleast I didn't feel like a complete fool. Or perhaps that just makes two of us...

You may ask why I keep going back
Well there are treasures and beauty 
hidden amongst the heebies
you just have to look

And isn't that like much of society anyway? 
You gotta search to find the beauty and the treasures?

7 comments:

  1. I think these type of places are spiritual crossroads; so much has gone in and out the oors that, yes, indeed, there is a vapour trail left. There were one or two store in New Orleans that left me with the same feeling---not the touristy stuff---the REAL DEAL. Run by the quiet people. Who welcome you and slightly smile but say nothing.
    It is sad this unusual place is no longer what it was.
    Well, maybe it won't tolerate Yuppies....who knows!
    Thoroughly enjoyed this post and will be back to read it again!
    Oh--I am finally making ART!!!! :D

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really interesting place!! But it does look like it would be easy to get the heebie jeebies there too!! Like you, I love to take the backroads and explore and love finding "treasure", be it things to buy or a quaint neighborhood or town. I love the feeling of stepping back in time to when things were slower and simpler. Or at least seemed to be!! I really haven't done very much of that exploring lately!! For years I have also had the intense urge to be in the salvage business!! Just don't know how or where to do it!! Do you watch American Pickers on the history channel??? My dream job!!! As my mini-van gets older I think about getting a smaller car. But then I think, "What if I find something I need to bring home?!?!?". And my son hates all that stuff too. He likes things sleek and new---this younger generation---what can ya do?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you brought back a few photos that are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay....this is totally my kind of place !
    what little town is it in.....either the hubby and will go or when i come to visit you, you'll have to take me !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very interesting space. Would get creeped out myself. I've been too close to intentionally put myself somewhere with vapors, but then my angels are my guides.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're so prolific over here! I go away for a few days...and wham! I'm so far behind the 8-ball I think I'm ahead! okay...off to do some reading and musings of my own.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and...forgot to say.... sometimes you have to search long and hard to find anything beautiful in society. Days can slip past wherein there is nought but ugliness ....and...then, just when you least expect it...or when you have almost totally given up on folks.... there it is. A tiny seed or glimmer....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!