"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Weekend of Lessons

As many of you know I don't make new year resolutions anymore since I don't need the guilt associated with the failed attempts. But I did follow the new rave of picking a word for the year and that was TRUST. And it's a word that just popped into my head at the time and I figured was as good as any.

The funny thing is how much that word has popped up since then; especially considering we're now at the cusp of the fifth month. And keeping that in mind I've taken chances this year that I normally talk myself out of. I have met a couple bloggers, taken some workshops, and even changed some thought patterns when it would be so much easier just giving up.

But this weekend I took a chance at something I would normally never do. Seeing as how distrusting I normally am. Not only did I meet another blogger, but I stayed with Beth for three nights as we both attended a workshop at Valley Ridge in Wisconsin. It was a wonderful class taught by Mary Beth Shaw. And although I learned so many techniques and sampled many substrates, it's the other stuff I learned that has made a lasting impact.


I learned more about people. About letting go of preconceived notions and just being open to friendships. I've learned that women can be hilarious and fun and encouraging. I've learned that there are strong, positive vibes when people gather to create. But I learned my most important lesson.

I learned to fight back as my ego tried to discourage me when I "compared" my work to the others. I had trouble creating this weekend but realized my sinuses were in no way cooperating so I just had to do the best I could. Instead I remembered what a good teacher, Laura, said about creating and ugly stages. I accept now that I'm at the ugly stage. And instead of forcing it, I'll let it be for now. They'll eventually come together. Because I've learned now, that even my life has had 'ugly stages'. And they eventually become beautiful in their own ways. And if not, they atleast form the foundation for new experiences.

The ugly stage

And Beth made me this wonderful gift

It says Follow Your Adventure
Very fitting, don't you think?

8 comments:

  1. Elena, your weekend sounds like it was wonderful, despite the sinuses. (I hear ya girl....)
    Every artists, no matter what stage of the road they are on goes through those *ugly* periods...or we perceive them as ugly, not sure which. But usually, if we have patience and set the work aside and come back with fresh eyes, we will see different possibilities or different good things.
    I hate taking classes because I work so slow, then get sidetracked by what everyone else is doing.....I love teaching, but NOT a good student. I think I am one of those *need to hole up to create* types....
    I don't see your work as an *ugly* stage, but rather an on the road stage. It's heading in the right direction...it just needs a little rest!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm pretty much cracking up over both of our posts today....well not really laughing so much, just realizing the similarities. "ugly stages".....i love that and i felt this weekend i was swimming in it !
    my sinuses are still playing games on me today....i'm exhausted and yet somehow i feel renewed. i think being in the kind of atmosphere we were in all weekend and learning about ourselves, does that to a person.
    i know i gave you a comfy bed and a roof over your head and food to eat, but gosh, i feel that my hosting abilities suck. it's something i've never really been great at and last night i honestly couldn't even remember if you had eaten breakfast on sunday morning before we left for class....now that's a BAD hostess !
    i do think if the sun had been shining and the air had been warm, i would have done a better job since we could have been outside exploring.....but i digress.
    hopefully you will find it in your heart to give me another chance and want to stay at the cottage again....plus, i forgot to have you sign the guest book {bad host tendencies again} so you'll have to come back, even if it's just while you are riding through town !
    xooxoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post..and such powerful insights! yes new friendships are wonderful! Wow..i dont see anything ugly at all..i think it is VERY beautiful..gorgeous!Just like you and your shining heart! Wonderful story..i enjoyed reading..thanks for sharing your wisdom and magic!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Check out Karen Michell's blog for working in Mixed Media on wood. She does it in a very interesting way. I am referring to your comment about wooden Prayer Flags. Warmly, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo to you for embracing Trust!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elena - such a delight to meet you and have you in my class. Your work was *anything* but ugly, my dear. I especially love that piece in the upper right of your pic - with the collage bits. Very nice. I am so glad I was able to meet you :-)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you had a great time! Made a new friend, learned a few things (a LOT actually!), laughed, created, TRUSTED....you are growing by leaps and bounds and I feel priveledged to be able to observe the process!! I am so thankful for your honesty in sharing your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very good road you are on. And TRUST has taken you there. What a wonderful workshop to experience and allow people into your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!