"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, April 23, 2010

What a Ride

Life is not a journey to the grave
with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,
loudly proclaiming,
"Wow-What a Ride!"
~
There are quotes that make a big impact when I first see them
After my dad died a few years ago, I saw this when I opened a retreat newsletter.
And it was an 'aha' moment.
I had been living my life by scurrying alongside the path 
 - in the ditch - 
just to be safe
I wasn't even sitting on my path
Nowhere near it
And I figured
Well, I'm going to die anyway
So it's up to me what I do with my journey
And how I arrive at my destination

Kinda like riding the motorcycle
And pulling into a hotel parking lot at the end of a ride
Turning off the engine
Hearing the little snaps and crackles as it cools
And seeing the bugs, the dirt, the unidentifiable 'stuff'
Like little souvenirs its collected along the way

And knowing that
Beneath the surface dust is the true heart of my beast
(And water works miracles)

And so I'm traveling my path
Collecting what I may
And when I die
I'll sit and crackle
And recollect my journey

7 comments:

  1. PERFECT!!!!
    Ride, Elena, RIDE!!!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so eloquently put and soooo true! We all need to be on our path and live it to the fullest!! Enjoy your ride!! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  3. and i know where that journey is taking you this weekend....see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ride hard and fast Elena!! You seem to be on the right road!! Can't wait to hear about your weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even before you die I hope you will sit and crackle...or is that cackle? ....and rock in your old chair...... and tell your stories.....that's the kind of Mom, Grandmother, friend and all 'round fun person I imagine.

    When we were kids, we knew a little old lady down the block from us... Dutch...we called her Grandma Shannon...and she rocked, told us stories...and we all sat around her eating the great cookies she baked for us...all of us quietly sitting ... making crumbs... looking up in wonder as she told us her tales.... my wish for everybody is a Grandma Shannon.... especially those of us who never knew grandparents......

    I can still conjure up the smells of her house...and see doilies all around the house that she crocheted while telling stories......

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!