"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, April 5, 2010

Finding ugliness....

For the last six days our home felt like it had a revolving door as family and friends visited and stayed overnight. As much as I loved having them around, I selfishly desire the solitude I will have tomorrow as everyone is gone and my son returns to school. Selfish, yes. But I need time to sort through everything I've absorbed.

My mom and sister brought the aunt & uncle who were visiting from Mexico. I completely enjoyed spending time with this farmer uncle who I hardly knew and we stood side by side watching the farmer prepare his field and smelling the new earth. As you know, I latched on to the comment my mama made and almost missed a more important comment made by my uncle to my mama after they left. He told her that my happiness & love for life brought him happiness even if it were just for a day. That was really sweet. Because I would like to think I brought somebody happiness. But I think it was my constant chatter just didn't give him time to think.

And my old boss and his family stopped by and I actually didn't feel that dull ache in the belly of missing the job. I admitted to them all that leaving was the best thing I could have done for myself. And when the wife said she didn't know I was an artist, I ignored that little voice that wanted to say "I'm not" and instead went to show her what I was working on. I was surprised. And perhaps a bit embarrassed and humbled.

My hubby's family spent Easter with us and there was so much to do and so much going on that there was no time to think of the bad phone call I'd received Friday morning. The one that I've avoided thinking about because of what it presents to me. My favorite uncle is 90 years old and lives part time in my mama's birthplace in the little Mexican village where they still farm, have dirt roads, and little stone houses. Thursday night someone broke through the front door and in the process broke my uncle's ribs. As he struggled against the two assailants, one tried hitting him in the head with a rock while the other punched him. He had his gun and managed to shoot one who quickly ran off. The other kept trying to hit him with the rock and when my uncle managed another shot, the assailant dropped the rock and ran. He lay there until someone came to help and drove him to the nearest town.

The assailants are his nephew and great-nephew. Sons of my now deceased uncle; his brother. One is 13. The other in his 20s. The families are rallying around these despicable things and refuse to press charges. What type of cowardly piece of crap attacks an old man; attacks family? And when I think of it; it's as if time stands still. I can hear the blood in my ears and feel that desire for justice. The one that I cannot explain to anyone. The one that I know can get me in trouble. The one my family teases me about because they say I have 'the old ways' in my blood. My grandfather, dad & his brothers were vigilantes in this little Mexican village where things were handled by 'frontier justice' ala John Wayne & the western movies. There were no cops. You took care of your own; in your own way.

And I know that for all my sweetness and calmness, that I possess a fierce protective streak. One that pops up when I feel threatened. The one that I've mentioned here before that caused me to punch the guy who mugged me and to lunge at the gangbanger who threatened to shoot me. The one that makes me get off my bike to shout at car drivers who ride too close to me. Hell I know it's stupid. I possess common sense. But when I feel it rising I can't help it. And it bothers me to know that if I were in Mexico right now, I would gladly pick up the old ways and take care of my own.

So I welcome the selfish time I have planned for myself in the studio tomorrow. I need to reconnect with some peacefulness inside and, again, find my balance. I know I'll hear that they'll get what they deserve. But there are so many that seem to get away with everything. And it's hard to believe in justice.

But not to worry, I'm not nuts. 
I just cannot justify any violence against my family, the elderly, children or animals. 
I won't.

8 comments:

  1. Elena I think you have experienced
    seperation
    you are not them
    and they are not you
    you are a seperate person
    All you can do is live for your family
    your husband and son
    you have no power there
    You are different then them
    separating is painful
    but the realization
    is powerful
    and life giving
    Go,make
    art
    love
    your life is your own
    and it is a good one

    ...just an old broad talking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I just say I adore you ?
    well, I guess I just did, didn't I ?

    and your poor uncle....how sad !!

    be selfish....you need it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena, when our family is involved, we all instinctually feel the manner in which justice is meted out in the cultural context. Yes, if you were THERE, you would be a different person due to how one is forced to live. Wanting to protect your extended family and FEELING what you feel is not out of the ordinary, but there is a great difference between feeling and doing.
    You have been blessed/cursed with knowing what life is like outside the States, where frontier justice is still the law of the land and it provides for everyone else a special insight to how others live.
    Most of us do not know. Media sanitizes news, using what sound bites will profit them.
    You have let us see what is really going on outside our glass bubble. You've had a lot of late to make your mind too busy.
    This is your time to rest and reflect. Take care of yourself gently.

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what you need to do, give it a chance to work through you... use the fuel of the anger to create and bring balance back in to your life..think of the colors of the old world you remember, I'm sure she seen it and it brought such richness to your life... Sounds as thought you also know you can't got there and do for him now but can take that rightfulness and bring it to your life...turn it into positive I'm sure that is a better lesson then to feed the ugliness...You do know what to do...The thunder beings will make their presence today at least in our neck of the state...They are the ones that can bring death or give life...choose to see it as bring life, new life... Peace my friend... seeking time is good now. all creature do it...its the natural course to take today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craving solitude is not being selfish---it's just what you need right now. And by giving yourself what you need you are taking good care of yourself, your son's mom and your husband's wife. I pray for your uncle. Such unspeakable cruelty to an old man is beyond my comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for what happened to your Uncle. I am sending you love and support. Warmly, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm not one to turn the other cheek or to condone cowardly deeds and I'd be right there with you baseball bat in hand or ...if only....I could find a gun!! they deserve to be shot in both knees and let them fend for themselves for the rest of their pathetic lives with legs that don't work.... maybe they'd figure a few things out. There are no consequences anymore ...even for murder.... how does anybody learn anything? Turning a blind eye to misdeeds and forgiving absolutely does not work.... we just have to look around us to see it.....

    In some countries they lop off a hand for stealing.... they don't try it twice do they? ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so saddened by the horrible tragedy in your family Elena. I know you justifiably felt anger but the sadness will continue to need to be vented, some Frida Kahlo work maybe? My prayers and strength for your Uncle.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!