I dreamt that I sat in a large dark void and angrily asked why everything happened the way it had. Why couldn’t I have pursued art early in life. Why this? Why that?
In a slow silent slide reel I saw moments of my past flicker by and heard these words...
- Career was necessary to teach you about the various personalities and to learn to identify those who are deceiving. You learned to trust in your strength and gut instinct.
- Career taught you about money, about persistence, marketing, and that there is always a solution to a problem-always.
- You learned that many of the people walking around with smiling masks are actually miserable inside. Remember how many strangers told you their life stories on the street?
- Home taught you the importance of communication and growth
- Home taught you that your inner self has a direct effect on your environment
- Family taught you that love is a hell of a lot stronger than grief, anger, poverty
And it occurred to me that if I had pursued art as a profession out of high school, I would not have learned the valuable lessons that something says is the foundation I’ll need for the future. I had to learn to rise above the anger, hurt, envy before I could safely open myself to...myself.
I honestly don’t know what’s next. Perhaps that’s why I don’t know what my dream is. I’ve done a great job hiding it way deep inside. But I have to trust that I’ll be shown the way….
So for now I dabble. And as soon as my head gets involved I stop. For now I have to act as mediator between my head and my heart. Someday they'll learn to play nice together.
And yet, I can't help but feel I'm too old to be trying to figure out what I want to be 'when I grow up'...
Wow!!We are going to have a LOT to talk about!!!!
ReplyDeleteFirstly, how old are you??? I didn't start on my creative path till in my forties. I went to university with my daughter to study art! I was 42 and did a degree in ceramic and glass design. I didn't start painting till 2005 when I was 51 and a grandmother. Mmm maybe I'm too old too. Ha!
ReplyDeleteI remember saying to one of my lecturers that I wish I would've started on my creative path when I was younger. She said I wouldn't have been as focused or dedicated when I was younger.
Before Suz says it ... GET IN YOUR STUDIO AND MAKE STUFF hehehe
Oh great I have TWO of you now! Hee, hee, I'd have it no other way! I'm 42 and as I said before Uta, you are my inspiration. But yes, I've been making small dashes into the studio.
ReplyDeleteRobin, I promise I won't talk your head off!
I've had to mourn my past and the chances I took or didn't take in order to let go and move on to what is now presenting itself to me.
ReplyDeleteI finished my college degree in my mid 30's and felt good to clean up loose ends. I don't think I'll ever be able to focus on one thing anymore. It's just who I am, multi-faceted. So, Elena, just be who you are now. The universe will take care of the rest. These days I can so relate to you. I am taking a big leap of faith with my creativity, the love of it overrides the fear.
I think you are really a blooming flower now.And isn't that even more special, when Fall and Winter are dancing around?
Peace.
Do the work
ReplyDeleteRemember when you were a kid and the teacher would sign zipping up your lips...and when someone told you a secret you signed locking your lips with a key....and then someone who loves you gives you a shove in the right direction....like me....
ReplyDeletePaint my heart ache blue tree.....there-shove
now get to work
Ditto.
ReplyDeleteI wish I hadn't spent so much time on hiatus while life kicked my butt.
If I don't write, I'm not a writer
ReplyDeleteyou are never too old to figure out what you want to be when you grow up....that's my story and I'm sticking to it... since I just last year decided photography was my thing.....
ReplyDeleteoh and that heart and head friendship thing....that takes a looooong time and mine are still at odds often with each other....