Then I discovered Mariachis during Church Holy days. I thought I loved Mariachi music but wasn't prepared for how it would sound in Church. The soulful song of each instrument reached seductively towards the arched ceiling where it caressed the angel sculptures and wove back down the stained glass windows where it would spiral around me reaching into my soul. I could 'feel' each note within my chest making it hard to breathe. And I would...cry. Yeah yeah, big ole baby...crying because of the way the music felt.
In my early 20s I discovered dancing and couldn't stop. To close my eyes and give myself to the spiraling sounds that reached their tendrils within my very core was intoxicating. And then somewhere while I was busy playing adult, it stopped. I lost the music. Sure I still listened but something was missing. It was like walking through art fairs where all the work looks the same and after a while seems soul-less and flat. There was no passion.
As I cleared out the cobwebs I remembered that while flipping channels I ran across a show I don't really care for, American Idol. But on this particular day I stopped and got up to stand close as I watched this beautiful young girl belt out a song from that place where few do. I watched, she sang, I cried. And as I tracked down that song and a few others, I started discovering that there are still those who create from that place of passion. And I love scanning the crowds to find that person because unfortunately there are only a few in the crowd. But that one person stands out like a beacon of light. It will be the person that is true to themselves. He or she will not be dressed like the others, will not avert their eyes, or keep their voices low. Their smiles will be genuine, they will hug you hard, and cry or laugh if they feel like it.
This is the person who has discovered how to live from that place of passion. It's like breathing from deep down in your abdomen; a deep cleansing breath instead of the short shallow ones we settle for. Look at their faces and you'll see the difference. Close your eyes and you'll hear the passion. Look, hear, feel their creations and you'll see what I mean.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
If you have a few minutes feel free to pop on over and see these singers faces.
One day I hope to tap into passion just like that...
Crystal Bowersox 'People Get Ready'
Crystal Bowersox 'Up to the Mountain'
Elena, you sing with your words, what a song. Music an passion transcend any and all languages
ReplyDeleteI will check these out. Have a wonderful week. Hugs Karen
ReplyDeleteohhhh that lee dewyze...love love love....and his "hallelujah" have been on my ipod since he sang it on american idol.
ReplyDeletedid i mention i love him :)
Hi Elena, I will check the links in a few. Right now I have to get ready to leave. I just wanted to answer your question about the 40. I won't be putting them all together on one post because it just would take too long, but they are on my slide which is right underneath the posts and you can click on the slide and it will take you to all of them. Same thing, they are all together. Have a great day. I'm having to go out of town in a couple days. Take care.
ReplyDeleteWhat a truthful and beautiful post. I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks for the great video links.
ReplyDeleteWow! Crystal Bowersox has an absolutely amazing voice! Thanks for the links.
ReplyDeleteI am often moved to tears by music, and in church? sometimes they stream from my eyes. We have some wonderful cantors!
ReplyDeleteHi Elena and thanks for stopping by my place and leaving a message. What a wealth of history you come from! I love the giddiness of leaving pennies on the railroad track. What a joy to play like that! I, too, recognize what you wrote about breathing deeply and fully. It really all comes down to the breath, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this post!!! Yep, it's all about Passion, if you want to be happy :D
ReplyDelete