My Mama, Tia and my soul-sister cousin accompanied me to the train station. As excited as I was to board the train, my heart wanted to stay in New Mexico. But unlike other times, I knew I would return. I eagerly scanned the horizon for that tell-tale sign; not wanting to miss first sight of the train's headlamp. There is something about seeing a train's headlamp coming towards me that makes me feel all giddy inside. It's right up there with watching an eagle glide on the wind currents and the sun's setting rays on the lake and the smell of campfire on a Fall evening and and and... When I'm riding on the motorcycle and sweep around a curve on a lonely expanse of land and see that headlamp.... my breath catches. And before I know it my arm sweeps up in greeting to that fellow lover of the wide open lands. In acknowledgment he blows the train whistle connecting us in one magical moment as we fly past each other...each carried away in the whistle's dying echo. My spirit soars. That's how it is.I watched as my Mama and Tia gathered in a flurry of activity. Looking up and down the tracks, huddling, laughing and looking again. I wondered if they felt the same as I. Could we have been train robbers in another life? Cowboys lying under the stars after a hard day's work? Or maybe they were in a hurry for me to leave? Could it be? But no, nothing like that. So what do you think these two elders of mine were up to?
They were putting PENNIES on the tracks.
"The pursuit of truth and beauty
is a sphere of activity
in which we are permitted
to remain children all our lives." Albert Einstein
~ ~ ~
If you want to know, yes, my Mama came home with three flattened ones.
~ ~ ~
"The great man is he who does not lose his childlike heart." Mencius


Okay, I know where you get your feistyness from!!! Oh, that is priceless!!!
ReplyDeleteHope you had a wonderful time; I have not been on a train in so long....I cannot remember.
And yes, we would always honk the car horn and wave to the engineers, and they returned the salutation.
I wonder if other people do that now?
XXOO~~♥
Anne
I think the answer to your prayers is in writing. You have a gift for telling stories. I loved this and the fact that we all are really young inside. Time flys by so fast. Great story and I need to take a train. I've got to look into it. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeletesooooo can you cross #14 off your list yet ?
ReplyDeleteand i love your mom !
Love it, love it, love it. My mom had 3 flattened pennies as well. Then after the train left they started looking for a special rock, which of course they each found one! Actually, I did too, heehee!
ReplyDeleteWell Elena what a fantastic writer you are, your words are full of vibrancy. I too love trains, reminds me of my childhood standing with my Mum and Dad and my 3 sisters in our little Scottish train station, heads straining outwards as we watched for the train which was going to whisk us off on holiday, not many cars in these days. I still love travelling by train, however there are none in Tenerife where I now live. So next time please honk your horn or waive your hand for me too!
ReplyDeleteDear Elena, oh, how I enjoyed this post - your mama and tia are priceless! I love people who are young at heart like that!! :-) You know, I've been reading backwards in your blog catching up with everything I've missed while I was gone and something is happening. You say it in your writing, but I can really feel it through your words. There's a different energy - hard to put into words somehow. Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday!! Love, Silke
ReplyDeleteLOL They are precious. We all should never 'grow up'
ReplyDelete2nd star to the left and straight on till morning ;)
Hello. We had a train track running through a back field of the farm where I grew up. I loved hearing the whistle, flatting pennies and making up stories about where it was going. Hugs Karen
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful to continue to play as an elder! That's a wonderful example of wisdom. Life is too fast to be all work and anxiety!
ReplyDeletefor years i kept a flattened quarter in my jewelry box.....i love hearing about your mom's youthful spirit!! xox, :))))
ReplyDelete