"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Bond

When I arrived in Santa Fe, I found my Mama
Looking stronger, more vibrant, the color back in her cheeks
They were inseparable, chattering away, 
Taking morning walks
Bent over yet another little plant or rock
And whispering into the night
As they huddled in the same bed

There is such a strong bond
Between these two sisters
Something you can feel
As if two halves of a broken china cup
Have been fitted back together

To look at the stories among the weathered hands
To look in their eyes is to see the past
My ancestors
Those I have never met
Poverty, sadness, strength and joy
All that I am and can become

But they will be separated once again Friday morning
As my Mama boards the plane to come home

They've said their goodbyes
Vowing not to attend the funeral
If one should go Home before they see each other again

And to their daughters they pass on these words
"Celebrate and enjoy one another while you are alive"
"Because in death, it no longer matters"

13 comments:

  1. How fabulously beautiful! Thank you not just for writing such a beautiful piece about our mothers, but for sharing it. I love the pictures that go with it. Maybe someday, we'll share time like they do and remember these days while we still had them. And remember their words, always filled with wisdom and repeat them to those that come after. Love you from the deepest reaches of my heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! I always wondered what it would be like to have a sister. This is how I imagine it. THank you for sharing. I want to give both ladies a giant hug! How sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a sweet tribute to your mama...
    i'm so glad i have sisters....and wish my daughter did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. The photograph and words are so poignant. Love indeed is a many splendoured thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so beautiful together! Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mother and her sister are so lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post..powerful and inspiring and magical..and ever so heart-warming! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elena, how beautiful your mom and her sister are. They do look inseparable. My Grandma and her sister were also inseparable. I loved this post Elena and it looks like you are coming into your own somehow. I think this trip enlightened the heart. Great pictures, wonderful post. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What touching words and pictures. How do you write so many inspiring blogs?!
    Thank you so much for your visit and kind words on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm like nacherluver ...I always wondered what it would be like to have a sister. I just have the one brother....but I do love him :)
    Love your pics..they look so sweet together. Gorgeous <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful post. I am wiping tears from my eyes right now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is one of the sweetest things i've read in a very long time!!! and that first photo tells a thousand stories......xoxo, :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!