
Gardeners, what in the world is this thing? It only pops up in the early morning, smells AWFUL, the tip looks like melted chocolate, the flies and ants love it, and it dies after the sun hits it?

Secondly, this foam looking thing is trying to eat the wooden deer. Is it a fungus? Any ideas how to get rid of it?
------------------------------------------------
After taking these photos yesterday morning I was cleaning up the garden a bit and realized the fungus on the deer's foot looked like a slipper. So I dressed it up a bit. But then my Jazz, who doesn't like someone misbehaving, decided the deer was acting the fool so she tore off his antlers, popped off his head and tore the slipper apart. So atleast I have the before photo:

and the photo of the culprit hiding in the bushes ...


I absolutely love that photo of Jazz!
ReplyDeleteI have seen that white fungus also at Julie's house. I've also seen it in a bright orange! The other thing is a mystery. First thing I thought of was "skunk cabbage" which also smells awful but I don't know if it has a flower.
I love the picture of Jazz hiding in the bushes. Made me giggle this morning.
ReplyDeleteI've seen the white fungus on my neighbors mulch, it looked like someone got sick. I don't know how to get rid of it, I think it just dried up when the mulch dried.
Never saw that other thing and I'm glad I haven't.
the first thing is a stink horn mushroom. Smell horrible, look mildly inappropriate and grow quickly from their little "eggs"
ReplyDeleteunfortunately the part you see of mushrooms is infact the reproductive part, and the majority of the fungus is underground. In other species the mushrooms will only appear at the edge of the whole thing and you get cool fairy rings. This was actually used in the movie Coraline, to mark where the well was before they opened it.
Thank you all so much! It most definitely is stinkhorn and Stevie I almost rolled off my seat laughing over your comment of them looking "mildly inappropriate". The first time I noticed them was followed by a "OMG what the hell is that obscene thing in my garden????"
ReplyDeleteThe stuff around the deer's leg is a slime mold or fuligo septica.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! Julie had a stink horn one time too, but I didn't get to see it! Thanks to Stevie, now I know too. How special, Elena! (yuck, huh?)
ReplyDelete