I handle worry like a gathering tornado – my mind picking up any loose thoughts and fears and spinning them out of control ready to create destruction. If I’m not careful, I can remain in this endless worry rotation – expecting the doom of a touchdown at any moment. But I happened upon a passage in Julia Cameron’s book, Walking in This World, that made me pause. “Worry is the imagination’s negative stepsister….The more active-and even more negative-your imagination is, the more it is a sign of creative energy….When worry strikes, remind yourself your gift for worry and negativity is merely a sure sign of your considerable creative powers…We can learn to throw the switch that channels our energy out of worry and into invention.”
Could this be true? For me, yes. I thought back to the many times I’ve had to make tough choices. In the weeks, months or even years before I will worry until I have a full fledged tornado that hasn’t touched down yet. My tornado spins and becomes larger and larger the more I feed it the negative drama. When it does, it will be worse than any destruction ever seen! My mind loves being dramatic ;)
Then something happens, and suddenly I “switch that channel” and all that mind drama starts to funnel to a touch down. A positive touch down. I don’t even remember what I had been worrying about and charge full speed ahead. Everything falls into place – successfully. I’ve been told many times that once I reach that point, it's best to stand out of my way.
I wish I could go back and tell those people who said something was wrong with me for always thinking negatively that NO, NOTHING is wrong with me. I just have to learn to channel that creativity outwards. I’m aware now that I am capable of switching the channel and making some amazing changes.
Now I just have to find the damned remote…
Your a funny girl!!
ReplyDeleteHi Elena,
ReplyDeleteLove the symbolism of the tornado with your own life throughout the post. Good awareness. I can totally relate to what you are experiencing on many levels. Yep, sometimes we need to take that negative energy like worry and fear and channel it into the positive (Creating something often works for me). We waste so much energy otherwise.
Isn't it great to find book passages that relate to own personal journey and then we make revelations and connect and don't feel so alone?
Just like these blogs, when I come here I don't feel so alone anymore.