"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, November 8, 2010

Really wasn't meant to be a girl...

I've never really cared for being a girl. Always wanted to be a guy; feeling that I related more to that side of humanity. Could never understand what made a girl tick. Finally at 15 or so I cut my hair really short and started dressing like a guy. Refused to answer to my name. I still remember my poor Mama had to introduce me to a family friend as such "this is my daugh..., sorry I mean my youngest 'son'" as she rolled her eyes and the person shook my hand obviously confused. 

I'm older now. And don't care either way since I've learned I don't have to be a girlie girl. I don't 'get' the use of manicures, pedicures, demonstrations, girls' night, heels, dresses...I'd rather be in jeans and boots dusty and grimy picking gnats off my cheeks after a long road trip. Nice picture huh?

So is it any wonder that my family was a bit confused when they saw me sitting on the couch with a knitting needle cursing at a ball of yarn. I was with my Mama Saturday and asked if she would try once again to teach me to make a little flower. She laughed. We both still remember the fiasco of the first attempt. But her mom taught her and I think it would be a cool thing to know. Part way through the little lesson I was grinding my teeth announcing that this was by far the most difficult thing I ever had to do and it was so much easier riding a motorcycle. "Ay Elena" she said. She always says that. I think it's my name "Ay Elena".

Sitting there with my family in the evening they kept laughing at my teeth grinding and frowns. I didn't make a flower. It looks more like a hammer...or a chicken drumstick. By Sunday morning I decided I would go outside instead and focus on something better. I built a campfire and moved tree stumps. I watched the sun play off the leaves as they fluttered through the air. Feeling the warmth of the sun on these last few warm days. And my heart swelled as I wallowed in that floaty feeling of gratitude. With no yarn.

Upon opening my eyes this morning I realized I had to do what I've been putting off for several months. Face my nemesis. Go dress shopping for my niece's wedding Saturday. I hate dresses. I hate shopping. I truly wish I could just pay someone to go do it for me. I tried to maintain Sunday's attitude. But no matter how hard I tried-I couldn't. And it soon became apparent I would have to go into the mall....

Anyway after my self-imposed ordeal I came to this conclusion. I don't hate shopping. I hate clothes shopping. I hate malls. I hate being in these stores that think people should all look the same. I don't like the 'feeling' of the people in these places. And I don't like that being in these places makes me so negative. Every thought started with "I hate....". Far cry from Sunday.

But on a positive note...I can spend glorious hours in book stores, art stores, antique and second hand stores, and those little artsy stores in tourist towns. After the third store and practically running through the mall, I begged my angels to help me find something to 'get me out of this hell-hole'.  I came home with a dress. It makes me look like a burrito. But it's one night. And my Mama asked me to wear a dress. I guess I could suck it in but I don't think I can suck in my 'birthing hips'. Hee hee.

But I feel too girlie now. 
So tomorrow I'm putting on my boots and going for a ride on the moto
to find my balance.

12 comments:

  1. Lovin' the honesty girl! My mom has always been a tom-boy and completely related to the more masculine side of life. I was born lovin' the girly stuff and completely feminine. She didn't allow it and raised me more like my brothers. No dresses allowed, no pink, no girl toys. It wasn't until I had a daughter that the feminine side of me was freed and really started to blossom. I'll trade my tom-boy for your girlie any day! We can hang and find balance!
    Did any of that make sense? It's late. Better hit the sack. I love your honesty!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha Yes we can have some balance too. tara is like you. She hated wearing a dress for her graduation!
    Im a girly girl but I do hate clothes shopping! I have such 'different' tastes in clothing that nowhere has what I like anyway. I can hunt through heaps of shops in a day and find nothing I want. I look online now or make my own.
    Good luck with the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a beautiful blog here..I simply loved going through ti for the first time..your post so honest, true at the same time filled with humor & depth...enjoyed 'em thoroughly. will b going through 'em more..Kudos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Elena, or should I say "Ay Elena?".
    The good thing is that you know who you are and what others think? Well what does that really matter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha!! I can so relate to you!! Girlie stuff has never come naturally to me. Although I like to sometimes wear skirts and the occasional dress, everything I wear has to have very clean lines - no frills and no lace! Accessories are a mystery to me as is the application of make up beyond the occasional lipstick.

    Daniel is the better decorator, the better house keeper, the better gardener, the better cook. I can do all of those things, but for me it takes a lot of thought and planning. I do know how to knit and crochet and it relaxes me. And I love to bake - is that girlie?

    When I do or wear anything that's really girlie, I always feel like an imposter. Like I'm dressing up for Halloween. It's very bizarre, but that's who I am, I guess.

    Enjoy your motorcycle ride!! I hope you come home with bugs on your cheeks!!

    Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  6. we strive for the day of being different and stand tall with that but then we still feel left out in some way or odd...but to trade in to be like them no way...I hear you on the need to be yourself..it is so wonderful that you can know what feels right like a pair of good leather boots...when you put them on you know who you are..and be proud of it..as you are so doing.. Kudo's for giving it a try again..the flower things...I'm sure you mother sees your growth even thought the flower didn't turn out like you would have like it..got to fail first before you success right....well to facing the demons of mall shopping and to finding a dress and changing the attitude to fit it and make the best of it...you a warrior woman in my book..Go my child ride with the wind today~ I know I'll be walking in it at the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ay elena.....you made me laugh with this post.....really laugh. i think it's because i know you. i've seen you. i know what your voice sounds like and i could hear it as i read this.

    i don't like malls or clothes shopping either. it's a chore. but like you, all those other little stores, i adore.

    so i guess for one day, making your mama happy, looking like a burrito won't be so bad. i know you'll be the cutest burrito south of here :)

    oh...and i'm not a girlie girl either. i can be. and i have the heels to prove it. but it's not who i am. and growing up, i wore bib overalls and was very tomboyish....and my dad loved it, since he only had girls, i was kind of like his son.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "you" will shine through the burrito dress, becasue it shines through all you do.
    Here's to loving who we are !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised you didn't get a suit jacket and skirt. Maybe not in current fashion though. I've worn pants to weddings. Dressy yes. Last wedding with no money I found a dress at Goodwill. Nobody wore anything similar. I had intended to get married in white jeans but my Mother-in-laws disdain shuffled me into a skirt and blouse set.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Mother always told me that I was supposed to be a boy. Even when I was in my 40's, my Mother would introduce me as "This is Karen, she was supposed to be a boy." The whole gender thing is odd. Now as an adult, I love both sides of me. Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. ay Elena:) You know I've always been a tomboy. I don't wear dresses and when I do they look like they hang on me(the long ones) and my converse make me look silly but I love it. I definitely am not a girly girl, never was, never will be. You are who you are and as long as you like yourself that is all that matters. Live your life the way you want to live it. I got to hammer a nail or two in the studio. Tee hee or should I say haw haw. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!