It's gone.
But even though I fought against it,
Christmas was coming no matter what.
Minimizing the decorations didn't kill us...
or keep it away
My son decorated the little outdoor tree I used instead
Even though he loudly stressed
"it's too puny to be a Christmas tree"
"it's too puny to be a Christmas tree"
But it sure made the little gifts beneath it look like alot.
We gathered at my Mama's for the traditional tamale making
It's not about the tamales
It's the story-telling and laughter
Gathered around that masa bowl
It's seeing the little ones grow enough to hold that spoon
Eventually bringing little ones of their own
So that perhaps one day they'll be gathered around that masa bowl too
IF we don't let the tradition die
Where they keep the traditions alive
By sharing the Oplatek, or Christmas wafer
We each receive a piece
Then walk around breaking a little piece off each wafer
As you hug and kiss and wish each other well
(My favorite besides the food)
But my new favorite is seeing the creations. The decorations, the meals and desserts. The crafts and sharing of generous spirit. My Mama made the Nativity for me last year. She was thrilled when my nephew asked for some of the clay to try it out. He then created a circus for his Mom and this Christmas gave my Mama the crucifix. He's always had talent. And like so many of us, chose to turn his back on it. Can I say how thrilled I am to see that he has reconnected to that creativity. By the way, you should see his drawings. I hope he keeps at it.


What wonderful traditions! and yum. homemade tamales. had them once when I lived in Colorado. a neighbor sent some over. loving the clay creations. talent runs in the family, eh?
ReplyDeleteThat crucifix is incredible! WoW!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year, Elena, xox
Homemade tamales! I used to work with a girl that made them and brought them in to work. What a treat.
ReplyDeleteI am part Polish and grew up with the oplatki tradition. It was special. I now am the one that is the matron of the Polish sausage brigade. We make it at Easter.
Your nephew is very talented. I love the crucifix.
You have just described that which is beautiful about Christmas, no commercialism, just joyful sharing. Love it!
ReplyDeletewhat a beautiful christmas....and john took the words out of my mouth. i like a christmas filled with just memories and a few creative endeavors...
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely fabulous! The traditions, the artwork! Oh my gosh, the nativity that your mama made is truly a treasure - even more that that. Priceless. And your nephew! Wow! And oh, those tamales! You have a wonderful family, Elena.
ReplyDeleteDear Elena: Guess what? You were one of the winners for the recent book/cd giveaways at my blog! You were picked to receive Eileen Flanagan's book, The Wisdom to Know the Difference. I know you are going to love it! If you e me with your mailing address, I'll send the book out to you ASAP. Congrats and hugs! Jan Lundy (awake is good)
ReplyDeletebuddhachicks(at)gmail(dot)com
Love the clay - the crucifix is simple and beautiful so one realizes how complex it really is.
ReplyDeleteI love the Christmas traditions you get to celebrate in your families! Just wonderful!! And then the new traditions and the new creations that get added to the old - that's what gives it all such great texture, doesn't it? Love, Silke
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHaha i see you snuck a picture of the crucifix onto your blog. My mom keeps after me to start one too. I totally forgot to take pictures of any of the things i made this year lol so that might be hard to do. But i gave in and made a blog, but now i have to fill it.
ReplyDelete