It doesn't feel like Christmas. I'm not looking forward to decorating for the holiday although the family has announced we have to decorate (they're soooo dramatic haahaa). As I contemplated why I'm fighting the season it occurred to me that I'm fighting against the long cold months of hibernation. That the end of the year means I have to start a new year...again. Christmas just reminds me of that fact. But I started wondering if there's more to it considering this "grinch" feeling started before Thanksgiving when I went to the store. And I heard the rusty wheels in my mind begin to turn.
We are such a deadline driven society. It's like we (or the media, government, educational institutions, etc etc) train ourselves (us) to look to the distant future. We are hardly allowed to enjoy the now; this moment before us. Soon we'll have "Prepare for your retirement!" commercials on Sesame Street, was I being bombarded with Black Friday deals at the end of October? And I know I'll be seeing easter baskets in January. All good reminders but when it drowns out everything about the present, about the true meaning of what's before us, well....it makes me cranky. (Haa haa!)
Don't get me wrong, I know deadlines are a necessary evil so that we have something to strive towards. Egads imagine the turmoil caused in businesses without deadlines! But there's a time and place. It seems we've gone overboard. We've trained ourselves in this linear thinking of 'climb the ladder', get ready before it's too late, bigger and better, more and more, it'll be better...then; all while we face and prepare for the distant horizon. But what about now? In reality, most of the time it's not so bad now. While it's good to have something to strive towards, we should also be aware of the now. We'll see that the path there may not be so linear. That sometimes we'll find another route that proves to be far more interesting than the linear one. And that real life isn't measured in twelve month increments. It doesn't start over at the end of the season. It continues....
So yep, I'll decorate for Christmas because I want to and not because some commercial told me to. I'll surround myself with just enough that will remind me of the true symbolism of this holiday. And find comfort in knowing that underneath all the 'black Fridays' and 'cyber Mondays' that this is the one time of the year people are extra nice to others. I'll throw out the anchor and enjoy the moment while the others rush around for the next deal or to get to the next holiday. I'm quite enjoying the view from here as I twirl along my merry path to a deadline yet unknown.
You know Elena, I don't let things like deadlines or have to do this or that interfere with what I really have to do and that is LIVE. There are people though that get all out of control when they feel they HAVE to do something and they don't want to do. I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying "the moment." Happy Holidays.
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of feeling the same way Elena--really dragging my feet on the Xmas decorating. I keep asking myself what my problem is because I like to decorate and I LOVE the way the house looks when it's done. But it's that dark cloud of "Have to" hanging over my head' I believe that is holding me back. I need an attitude adjustment!!!! I love Christmas but December just has waaaaay too many "have to's". I think I will tone it down and really think about what "HAS" to be done----ask myself if it HAS to get done or do I just feel obligated?????
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love the image of you twirling along your merry, wandering path!! May I join you?!?!
ReplyDeletedeadlines are the only way i get anything done....but i don't like them !
ReplyDeleteand christmas....i'm not a huge fan of it.....i never have been, but i do what i can to make it special for those around me....i'm actually looking forward to january :)
Yes, they do fit. Hugs Karen
ReplyDeleteHappy holidays to you Elena : )
ReplyDeleteI will wave to you as I hang out on my own path too, Elena. At first it felt like a fight to do this but once I just gave in to the flow inside myself, it becames easier and easier to watch the others rush by, shake my head, wish them peace and just be thankful in this moment for my own strengths...
ReplyDeleteSend out the good juju and let it come back to you, Beautiful One !
Ack. It's just the holidays. Don't sweat the small stuff. I love the holidays! Probably in part because I do it MY way! ;)
ReplyDeleteI miss a lot of deadlines. Wish I didn't, but life happens and acceptance helps. I hate to decorate without cleaning... wonder how far I'll get?
ReplyDelete