"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Thursday, December 16, 2010

A little giveaway

I've had a strong urge to make gifts for the family. But my shyness won and they're getting store bought gifts instead. I didn't know if they would like what I created and didn't want to put them in a situation where they would feel obligated to take the gift.

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ side note ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
You know, writing this out just brought back an old memory. I was 16 and working as a summer aide for the government. Returning from vacation I brought keychains for everyone for no other reason than to share the joy. After handing one to a secretary I overheard her sneer and tell someone I was just sucking up. I was pissed. And never gave little gifts again.

I can see that had an impact.
If a store bought gift generated ridicule, imagine a homemade one?

(Boy when the Universe conspires to start healing the Past it doesn't play around!)
 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So here's the thing. I'm following a gut instinct.
Let's just say I've received marching orders from the Universe.
And I don't want to get hit by lightning.

I am having a small giveaway.
I can't tell you what it is but I can give you hints.
It will be homemade.
It is small.
 I'm not uber-talented so it may be 'primitive'
It will have a Christmas theme
Look at it like you're shaking the box
Trying to guess what it is
And you're allowed to re-gift

What do you have to do?
Tell me what makes your heart sing
Really sing
Where you just want to break out into dance
No matter who is watching

And
Don't tell me I'm sucking up

I'll be randomly choosing someone Monday

“Love is, above all, the gift of oneself” Jean Anouilh
~ ~ ~ ~
Let's just say I'm being selfish
Unlike my family, you aren't obligated to accept the gift
And if I expect to be an artist
I need to unleash the creativity

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work" Emilie Zola

21 comments:

  1. Hey, I'll sign up for your giveaway! What makes my heart sing is to watch my dogs, or any dogs really, to watch them play. It doesn't make me dance, I'm not really a dancer, but it makes me laugh and feel good.

    I don't much care if my people love what I make for them. I make most all the gifts I give and I believe they appreciate them even if they don't like them. Okay, I lied, I do care if they like them. I still make them. They say thank you. I'll admit I have found the art quilt I gave someone on their floor next to the refrigerator one time when I stopped by. I didn't mention it. I'm making her something else this year (see my blog:-)

    I love primitive, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i pretty much felt right at home here! I love the quote you'd used in and just below the Header. Could that be why some people seemingly had more troubles than others? ;)

    Smiles,
    Silver
    Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you don't mind. I got to have you on my blog list !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elena, what makes me feel ALIVE is when I feel the great connection and I "see" the "light" in others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Stumbled upon your blog :) Vry nice job done :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What makes me sing?

    A long bike ride on a crystal clear day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh. What doesn't make me want to dance? I'm kind of an emotional person. When I'm happy, I am uber happy. Same with all the other emotions. I feel them to the extreme.
    I tend to dance, jump, run, squeal a lot! I feel it when something great is about to happen, when I hear good news, when a giant rainbow arches across the sky, when the music moves me deep to my soul, when my kids enter a room with music on. I'm a freak like that!
    I would love to win a handmade gift from you. Handmade is my favorite! It's made with heart. Thanks for the chance. Good luck to all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure, I'm in! What makes me really sing? Many things, but I'll just pick one -- being in a beautiful garden on a nice summer day, seeing and smelling all the flowers and hearing bees.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Elena!
    What makes my heart sing??? Oh boy---that is tough because I seem to have a couple of different things that bring that on but usually it revolves around art and New Orleans, either the music, food, or just the inspiration.
    Yeah, it's an odd answer but consider the source....heeheehee!
    Cannot believe that woman said you were sucking up. You know, she was just projecting on YOU what HER motives of small gifts would have been....

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. What makes my heart sing?? That question is tougher to answer this year than it might have been in the past BUT....here are a few:
    The wonder on kids faces at Christmas time.
    The snow sparkling in the sunshine.
    Exploring backroads on a beautiful sunny day.
    My son giving his sweatshirt away to a homeless guy.
    Rainbows and wild thunderstorms!
    Mother nature at work, reminding us that SHE is in charge!
    Seeing the endless design, beauty and inspiration to be found in nature.
    My Artist's Way group--so brave, honest and questioning.
    Laughing with my best friend.
    Reading inspiring blogs everyday written by like-minded people who are awake and seeing!! Like you Elena!! I am so thankful for your sharing of your journey and your honesty and the tough questions you ask!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elena, you are a great artist. Do not be afraid to give your hand made gifts to friends and family. I have received hand made gifts and love them because they are special.
    As far as what makes me sing and shout out loud? Hearing the doctor say I am cancer free! Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Elena. No need to feel despair. People can be cruel. Remember not to long ago some cowardly unknown "anonymous" blogger stopped by my art and said to me I didn't know how to cook and that my paintings were worse?" I shrugged it off and went on with my life. I think the things that make me the most happy is waking up in the morning and really there are too many things and that was number one.I would love to get out in the middle of a street and dance, dance, dance....if my knees would let me.
    Tee Hee. If I don't get back to you till the end of the holidays, Happy Holidays and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder why you think no one would appreciate handmade gifts? My craftwork has always been appreciated... my art not so much.
    What makes me sing? Usually some good tunes cranked in the car. Christmas music. Literally. OK, a walk in the snowy forest preserve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What makes my heart sing?

    - when someone throws off the limitations of the past and soars!
    - seeing the dawn break over Venice
    - falling in love
    - learning something new
    - finding just the right words: for a poem, for an essay, to heal the hurt in someone's heart just a little
    = blue skies
    - walking on the beach at the edge of the ocean and contemplating magnificence
    - blue milk glass
    - the smell of popcorn
    - well done romantic comedies

    and as you know from my Share the Joy Thursday meme, a thousand wonderful things! I've learned to look for joy in the "ordinary sacred."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello. I wanted to share a story. In grade 4 I made a new friend and everyday we brought presents for each other to exchange in the morning. I am not sure how it started, but I made her a T.V. from toilet paper rolls, boats from paper, dolls cut out of cardboard, etc. The other children caught on and tried to see what we were doing. I always brought my gift in a paper bag and one day a boy ripped my paper bag gift out of my hand and after that we stopped. I think of that time as magical and mysterious, until the boy ruined the mystery. I would love a handmade gift from you. Hugs and Love Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! I see there is more love pouring out of your heart.... that makes my heart sing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo, can I enter as well?!?! What makes my heart sing is getting little surprises like homemade gifts! When that happens I clap my hands and jump up and down - just ask Daniel! :-) I'd LOVE to own something handmade by Elena... Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  18. What makes my heart sing? Wow again you challenge us that follow. I was thinking about that all night and then into this morning...(which I do like to do, that is pick up on a very deep thought or question and carry it around, much like a dog with a bone till I find a comfortable spot) this is what came this morniing.... My heart would sing loudly when the children where younger and all the family would get together and the sibblings would do what they do best...poke and tease. I would sing the song of an ache that I didn't know if I would make it through another bout of the family watching TV or just a birthday party with out the crying and whinning...(though there were good parts) but now as the years have past and these young children have turned in to adults my heart sings so deeply as I watch them interact together, listening, sharing and commuications so well. Though there are moments when the voices raise but on the most part I'm filled with the deepest kind of love song. That's my family and look at them look how they've grown and look at all they have accomplished..I sing a proud song of great mothers love... Thank you for facing your life and seeing what it has to reveal so that others can face theirs and share and heal together in a greater whole. Many blessing to you deer one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would so love to have a giftie made by you ! Woohoo !
    What makes my heart sing - really sing, these days is my niece Katie. She is 2 1/2 and brassy, brave, brilliant, beautiful and hilarious! And she loves her Auntie Kimmy to bits ! Just watching her in action fills me up until my heart literally hurts with love.
    I love that you made us answer this question to take part. The answers were so fun to read !
    Big love and thanks for the chance to win !

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am signing up for the give away 'cuz i know how u felt when that womad had sneered and also 'cuz i love making and giving things..it's a joy that can outrun every other thing...And also the thing that make me jump & dance with joy...

    It's an amazing feeling to plan/make/do something even if tiny for someone...a joy in itself..to me it's a delight same as a kid feels in a big toy store..and the moment when that thing u had done brings that beautiful smile filled with unadulterated delight lights up the heart & life of someone...that moment just becomes a treasure in my existence..I love doing things like that for family, friends and anyone when i feel like...but at times it just shatters me when I come across one of those "sneering ladies"......but then they are not of consequence..what matters is the delight I get while I am doing all that

    Love,
    Meeta

    ReplyDelete
  21. hhhmmmm What makes my heart sing.....so many things do but just watching my children be themselves and the joy on their little faces when I join in with them makes me want to dance and sing with them no matter where we are. I've danced with them in the supermarket without any regard to anyone else just to see their happy little faces :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!