Happy
New
Year
I used to think....ugghhhh what's so 'happy' about starting a whole 'new' 'year' all over again. It felt like all year I was playing a board game only to be throw back to the starting line after twelve months. Looking back at what I hadn't accomplished. On top of this soured attitude I fell into the media-hype telling me that this 'new year' would be a great time to lose that weight, be a better person, stop drinking Coke. Funny how I never noticed that this marketing ploy was followed by commercials telling me to buy that state-of-the-art treadmill, top of the line management software, or drink Pepsi instead. Smoke and mirrors.
So was it a surprise that I would start the 'brand spanking new' year with treadmill, management software and Pepsi all fired up to be a 'new' person only to fall flat on my face within a few weeks? Of course not. Because it wasn't a 'new' year. It was a continuation of the previous and the previous before that. Let's just say it's alot easier keeping track of passing time if you don't have to write today's date as December 31,461,510.
So here's the thing. I stopped thinking that way a couple years ago. I stopped watching the news and commercials trying to tell me what to do. It's not a 'new' year where the clock turns back to Step 1 magically making me a better person. I'm already a good person. Muffin-top and all. I wouldn't want to go back to Step 1. For all the perceived failures, there are a thousand little successes. I'd hate to lose those. And those perceived failures? Well turns out they were just stepping stones to bigger successes. Now that I know that, it makes it easier to remember that a bad time will pass and open a new opportunity (or uncover one that's been there but I was too blind to see).
Resolutions? Bah! I don't bother. I like this one-word for the year. It uncovers some amazing things...and doesn't cost anything. I like to think of the 'new year' as reaching a ledge on my journey. I get to sit down a moment, grab a Coke, maybe a sandwich, and fondly study the terrain. Where I've been, who I've met, the dips and the peaks all creating a beautiful landscape. And looking to what lies before me and knowing, trusting (see that 2010 word), that I'll be ok no matter what lies there.
I'll have that vision board in hand today. Creating it is the moment where I allow my subconscious to voice its wishes. Most of the time when I'm done I look at it surprised to see what's there. And I think this year I may allow myself a bit of play. Knowing how much of a connection I have to the number 1111 you can imagine how excited I am about the date. Tomorrow will be 1/1/11. Maybe I'll stay up tonight and do something special at 1:11 a.m. Who knows. Perhaps I'll sit there on my imaginary little ledge and welcome another leg on my journey with a piece of chocolate.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I awoke to a wee-hour thunderstorm.
The cool kind with loud claps of thunder.
Bright flashes of lightening.
Pouring rain.
Strange only because the yard was still full of 1' deep snow.
And it's December 31st.
I lay there smiling.
Nature's way of reminding me
There are no 'supposed-tos' in this world
I'm not 'supposed-to' be anything but Me
There are no 'supposed-tos' in this world
I'm not 'supposed-to' be anything but Me
Yep, the view from my ledge doesn't look so desolate anymore.
Happy New Year!
Enjoy your journey
Happy New Year! I don't make resolutions either.
ReplyDeleteLove your outlook! Glad you're embracing life to the fullest. I totally get what you say about the continuation of time (not a stop and start). I think it is helpful in some ways to see it as a new year/new start in the case that it gives pause to let go of the past and embrace what is to come. I no longer make resolutions and embrace a word as well. Thanks for helping me to confirm my word!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year sweet Elena!!!
Ha! My word verification was mookyper!!!
ReplyDeleteThat would be a hilarious word for the New Year. Maybe I'll keep it as a backup. ;)
What a FABULOUS post Elena!!! You say it all so well!!! You have learned so much this past year that it boggles the mind!! I am learning right along with you (as are many others). I know I've said it before but I am so thankful for you and the honest and open way you share in this blog! It feels so good to know that WE ARE NOT ALONE!!! Thank you and a very Happy New Year!!
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year! I wish you and your family much love and laughter for 2011.
ReplyDeleteJudy
I quit resolutions years ago and quit watching all the weight loss ads, followed in a couple of months by the *FAT-FOOD* ads. What an endless, vicious cycle!
ReplyDeleteI think just going with the flow, assessing as I go, tweaking here and there and generally enjoying life (driving everyone nuts!) is so much more fun!
And the rain took all our snow! WAH!
But maybe there'll be more NEXT YEAR!
Many blessings~~~
XXOO~~♥
Anne
Elena, what a great post which you could not write before, only now because you have decided it is so. I am so proud of you and your achievements, keep up the great work.
ReplyDeletehere's my happy new year's hug to you in case i miss you tomorrow....
ReplyDeletexoxo
Happy New Year. I love your positive attitude. Sorry to be away for so long.
ReplyDeleteI love this post! Here's to celebrating the fact that we're fine as we are, we don't need to make a list of drastic changes to ourselves just because the date's changed. Resolutions should only be for fun things! I always think January is such an inappropriate time to resolve things anyway - it's far too dark, cold and miserable! I always feel like my birthday is more the start of my new year :)
ReplyDeletePS I for some reason have always thought of 11 as my lucky number, but hadn't even realised the date today!
Hello. Happy New Year and enjoy all the 1's today. To me, 1's signify new beginnings and energy.
ReplyDeleteI haven't received my package, maybe this week.
Hugs Karen
Happy New Year to you!
ReplyDelete