"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, December 17, 2010

In search of Christmas

Ok so will I scare y'all away if I say that I woke up yesterday with orders to do the giveaway? It was in that twilight sleep mode, where you're still sleeping but slowly the brain is starting to regain consciousness. Lately it seems to be the moment where I receive my marching orders; assuming I remember them.

So this morning I received another order. I groggily walked to the computer and typed as I waited for the dogs to come back in. I finished typing and laid back down so that I could come fully awake. Here's the message I submitted for publishing in the local paper. I sure hope I didn't sign it; I'll have to hear my son whine about how much I'm embarrasing him!

Where is Christmas? Lost in the shopping lists? The extra hours at work in the hopes of a bit more cash. Is it lost in the worrying about how you’re going to pay the bills, or what you’re going to eat, or where you’ll live? If you strip it all away you’ll find Christmas is still there. It’s behind that extra smile from the person holding the door open for you, the teenager packing boxes at the food pantry, or the child putting money in the Salvation Army bucket. It’s there. It’s not store bought or even hand made. It’s an act of love, or kindness, towards others. If like Scrooge you were given a second chance, what would you do differently today? Politically correct or not. Merry Christmas to you all.


Now if I were fully awake I wouldn't have done that. Haa! Haa!

Inspired by the dear Queen of Arts, I grabbed a handful of candy canes and set out on errands. I watched the bored looking young girl ringing up bird seed and almost changed my mind. At the last minute I said 'here, Merry Christmas' as I handed her a candy cane. She wouldn't make eye contact, giving me that sidelong glance as she hesitated and grabbed it like I had handed her a hot coal. She muttered thanks and as I walked out I thought how much she reminded me of a distrustful stray. Sad. But funny in a way. She was too young to be that gloomy.

Errand to errand I did the same thing. People seemed surprised to hear Merry Christmas. The older people seemed happy while the young ones eyed me suspiciously. Hee hee! Sad and funny again. I didn't find Christmas on this run. But I did have another flashback.

When I was small (ok I was probably already in 7th grade) I used to lay on my back with my head under the Christmas tree. I would position myself so that I could look up into the tree branches and squint my eyes so that the lights would look like stars. Before you think there is something seriously loose in my head I have to explain (hee hee). I grew up in the city. I was lucky if I saw three stars. Laying under that tree gave me the opportunity to pretend I was laying under millions of stars. And I would sing. Christmas songs. I could lay there squinting and singing (haa haa ok maybe there is a screw loose). My poor Mama. She probably thought there was something wrong with me.
Wait. She still does.

11 comments:

  1. I clap my hands and say yes to your marching orders my deer...as you have a gift that is coming out to play and you just keep being yourself and sharing on this blog and as life tosses you a bag of junk you pick through it and pull out the great reuseable pieces...As many before you use do to before tv, radio's and all that stuff, they would share the stories and those stories carried greater meaning then and list of things you should do...a good story of someones experience has more power to help change attitudes and perspectives. A good story has a way of letting people use what they needs and feel, I mean really feel sometimes for the first time in a long time and they learn live through their experiences.. Ok I'm rambling but good orderly directions may have you doing what you are already doing and I say save these blog post some where for the future....(copy and past them in a binder or something)As scary as ti sounds this is how it starts, publishing in the newspaper or magazine and then to a book..scary I know but when you lest expect it your living the dream baby!! Just let go of tomorrow and live the dream to day and amazing things can happen and good for you to take the risk of giving and not worry about how it will be received, but only to look at yourself through their eyes and actions...wow lady...hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your screws were just loose enough to really know what life and love is about, Elena ! Imagine if someone has laughed with wonder at how sweet you must have looked under the tree ? Or best yet, come and lied down beside you and sang along ? I would have...even if you did it today I would ! ;)
    You won't find Christmas out there, Beautiful One. It is in YOU !!!!
    I think you are so beautiful.
    Love !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think your screws are loose--I think you are JUST FINE and sadly, it is the rest of commercial America that is lost in a wasteland that only allows Christmas as a profit margin.
    Huzzah! for your post you wrote about Christmas....it is perfect!
    And yes, I used to lay under the tree looking up through the branches; I had quite forgotten that until you mentioned it. It was a secret world in there~~beautiful, glowing, all different than the outer side of the tree.
    Kind of like us; different on the outside, glowing inside.
    You've found Christmas---you're just trying to help others find it too.

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Elena!! What a beautiful post!! You brought tears to my eyes!! And if you have loose screws then so do I because I used to lay under the tree as a kid too!!! Only I'm so near-sighted all I had to do to see "stars" was to take off my glasses!!! I STILL like to look at the tree without glasses once in awhile! By the way, have you watched or read "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" lately!!! Those who's down in Whoville really "got it"!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautiful...a beautiful person and soul....and i can't thanku enough for this post...u helped me find my christmas again when I thought Grinch had taken it away.

    Merry Christmas Elena :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you really blame the young ones for being suspicious? They've probably had it drilled into them for their entire lives not to take candy from strangers! Even cute ladies with candy canes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there were more sweet people like you in the world it would be a better place. Thanks for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful Elena..and I used to do that too
    look up the tree...
    and i had Mary and joseph and baby on the lower branches....lost in play

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely, the childplay added to your day! Keep it up! We're all smiling, momma taught you well. Your son must be so proud (on the inside of course).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee hee! This is great stuff! I am picturing you in your jammies and robe sleepwalking down to the newspaper holding your letter in the editors face. I know that's not how it went down but that's what I imagined!
    You go girl! Tap into that sub-conscience of yours. It's brilliant!
    The only memory I have of Christmas at my house growing up is sleeping under the tree. I don't remember gifts or Christmas morning or even getting the tree. I remember getting sleeping bags out and lining all three up so our heads would be under the tree and there we slept. It was always so comforting and beautiful, like our own little world. To this day I refuse to get a fake tree as I love sparking that memory. The smell, the feel, the sight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hehehehe Its all the things 'wrong' with you that make you so 'right' You are too gorgeous. I hope you find some Christmas spirit somewhere. I am sure it is still alive in many people...just a little hard to find.
    If I dont have a chance to email before hope you have a beautiful magical Merry Christmas <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!