"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Word for 2011

Wow! I want to thank you all for the great comments, personal emails and phone calls regarding my last post. You all rock! And to think I almost didn't post it by trying to convince myself it was a taboo subject. Funny how the taboo subjects (this one and religion) are the ones that I learned the most from. So I'll continue with not banning myself.

I walked into the bank yesterday and an attendant motioned me to an empty cubicle to have a seat. As he walked in to sit down I caught a whiff of his cologne.
I said, "Wow! You smell really good!"
Scrunching my nose I added, "Hmmm, that's probably not politically correct, huh?"
Not giving him a chance to answer I said, "Well tough, politically correct or not, it's true and I said it. If you're offended, get over it." And I smiled.
His wide eyed open mouthed expression changed to a huge shy grin as he said thanks. We struck up a conversation and found out we share the same birthday....although he's 7 years younger. Given how I behave half the time, I'd say he's the more mature one.

Uh oh, open blog expressions are spilling into reality...
~ ~ ~ ~

So, this coming year will be the third year I pick a word for the year instead of those crazy new year resolutions. They never get done anyway and the word thing has proven to be quite enlightening. The first year I picked Release and that didn't work since I released Release into the cosmos. This year I picked Trust and holy moly did it present all kinds of situations that really made me come face to face with something I was no good at. I can safely say I have learned to Trust this year; in large part thanks to all of you, those I've met in person and those I haven't met but have become great phone/email friends.

Funny thing is I shouldn't say I pick a word; it's more like the word picks me. I gave a passing thought to what word I would pick for 2011 and LOVE popped in. My first reaction was to chuckle and say 'hell no, no way'. I figured it was too early to pick a word anyway and I'd think about it again at the end of Dec. LOVE popped in again and I scrunched my nose and thought 'ughh no NO way!'. I thought I had put it to rest. Silly me. From there it started popping up everywhere; in comments from some of you, in posts I happened to read, in books and on the radio. I went to visit Priti Studio's really cool etsy shop and the first item that caught my eye was the Amore box. You guessed it...LOVE. Dammit!

So here's the thing. I'm really uncomfortable with that word. Bordering on strong dislike (hate). But that, and all the other signs, prove that this is the word for 2011 (ugghhh). I'm telling myself that this LOVE is not about romantic feelings between man and woman (which is what I'm fighting against) but that there is more to it. That the LOVE I'm supposed to learn about is love towards self so that it can then be projected outwards.
Yikes!


Hubby reminds me that I've already started experiencing love around me. How so many people helped search for the lost puppy, how some of you call or email for extra support when I'm glum, how strangers open their homes, on and on. And I realize that Trust has led me right into this next word. That somehow they must go hand in hand. So, I am officially stating my new word for 2011 as LOVE (gulp). I have to before the universe decides to drop a billboard on my head to get my attention.

I took a walk in the garden during the first snowfall Saturday.
And wanted to run back in after seeing all the 'hearts'.
I walk by that gate all the time and never noticed the hearts
until the bottom part of the scroll was covered by snow


So how do you love?
 I guess I'm about to learn

10 comments:

  1. *Love* in our culture has been reduced to a single meaning....which is sad because it is a word with much depth and can cover a lot of territory.
    Maybe you are to learn all the different meanings of the word, and the associated feelings that go with each one.
    Love is more than "Oh honey, I love you" or "gee, I love your Harley!" (which I do...LOL!)
    It is the look in the eye of a person in an act of extreme kindness, it is in generosity, it is in doing the right thing instead of the easy thing.
    Love is respect for yourself and others about you......it is almost an infinite feeling.
    And I know you will find different ways of seeing it.
    I am delighted to be along for the ride!

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and trust do indeed go hand in hand. What an adventure you will have in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think it's perfect for you !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you many powerful adventures in the spirit of love...it is the most powerful gateway to all things! enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elena I hope you have a wonderful journey going into the land of LOVE! Me, I love with my heart, eyes, and hands.:) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your idea of picking a word for the year, maybe I will do that for 2011. Love is a big word and a bold word, and it is already working in you and for you, I can tell. Jesus said his greatest commandment was to Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be a wondrous year! Look at what TRUST did for you... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooooh! Sounds like you have an exciting year coming up! I LOVE how words pick you and Love that you are embracing the challenge and I really, really love the hearts you are seeing.

    Love,

    Me

    Just trying to help you get used to the word love, My Love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos!
    I really need to learn the self love thing too!. I'm sure you'll find all kinds of love in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...love this post. I am just catching up with you and just finished writing about how I think that our purpose on this planet is to LOVE and there you go, and choose LOVE as your word ! Brava ! The perfect word for where you are, I think. It is my Life Word really, part of my life mantra "Love is the answer to every question." And let me tell you, since I have started living my life with loving intention, it has gotten so much better and richer...
    I know that you, you are already so much better at loving than you give yourself credit for, will have an amzing LOVE filled 2011 and onwards....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!