1. A recess in a wall, as for holding a statue or urn.
2. A cranny, hollow, or crevice, as in rock.
3. A situation or activity specially suited to a person's interests, abilities, or nature
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
In the past week I've exchanged emails with a few people jousting with the self-lashing demons. Which is probably what prompted the thoughts in the previous post. The other common thread among those emails was the desire to find their artistic niche. My first response was don't be too quick to fit into a niche that could develop into invisible walls that potentially cut you off from growth. The ones were you focus on defining yourself too early and thus cut off any possibilities of exploration.Perhaps my response came from watching and listening to people throughout the years. I've seen people identify themselves with a title and then refuse to make changes for fear of losing themselves. I've seen people start a sketch and when it doesn't turn out to be the envisioned masterpiece, quickly announce they're not an artist and never allow themselves to create again. What if that person was instead a great sculptor, or weaver, or writer, or all the above.
We do this. Society seems to have a need to file everything away into orderly categories like sorting mail into cubbyholes; rich, poor, talented, geek, creative, blue collar, white collar, and so on and so on. When in reality, we are multi-faceted beings.
As a project manager one of my biggest pet peeves was that I felt I didn't know ALOT about one specific thing but instead knew varying degrees about many things. I perceived this as a weakness. It's not until recently that I realized my perceived weakness was my strongest point. If I didn't know the answer, I knew where to get it. Instead of my career being a little isolated box it was more of a climbing wall with niches and jutting rocks.
Which made me think (yep, here we go again). Perhaps finding your niche isn't a bad thing so long as you don't erect walls around said niche. So long as the niche is used as a means for advancing to the next step in the quest for further exploration. A niche as a resting spot on the journey that can last as little as a few hours or years.
For me, just starting on my spiritual and artistic journey, it would be foolish to settle into a niche. I need to explore otherwise I run the risk of erecting those invisible walls. I'd like to think of my niches like those on that climbing wall acting as strongholds that enable me to move around as I explore the vast terrain of my life.
Perhaps it's just my thinking. Perhaps it's why I'll always be a wanderer, an explorer, a restless soul.
Perhaps....
“Most people are not really free.
They are confined by the niche in the world
that they carve out for themselves.
They limit themselves to fewer possibilities
by the narrowness of their vision.”
V.S. Naipaul
Look at what kids do -- they try everything! We adults need to be more like them.
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
ReplyDeleteI agree~~the more you know, the richer the life. People always seem surprised when I mention, "Oh, I had to fix THIS, or I worked on THAT when it broke..." things typically cubby-holed as *Male Jobs*.
ReplyDeleteHmmph.
The more you know, the more independent you are, the more you get to experience....on and on.
I think finding our niche means finding what we are happiest doing AND best at doing. You can do something very well and never be happy.
And I cannot imagine life without my plethora of diverse projects, yes, even when I was taking out an old cast iron sewer.
That one did not make life rich, but it sure is an interesting story to tell now! ;D
XXOO~~♥
Anne
Yup. That's how I feel. I'm okay at doing many things but not an expert at any one thing. Okay, except for parenting. ;0) (imo)
ReplyDeleteGreat post! How amazing that this blog has proven you to be an excellent writing, artist, friend and experience connoisseur.
Wonderful insight... great post!
ReplyDeleteHi Elena...Happiest new year my shining friend!
ReplyDeleteI always enjoy your insightful posts and sense a kindred in you! I am a pure-heart child-like spirit..I have never quite fit in anywhere.( that's ok!)..and have always roamed and explored my own path..(no matter what others think)..and wihtout too much attachment to any one idea!!
...yet I love to create and play in many realms..I truly just relate to the idea of "creative essence" and I allow myself unconditional liscense to be just as I am..and explore and create wherever I feel drawn! we have one amazing life to create with...so I fly and weave like you...and celebrate as much as I can...and let my spirit roam free...it leads me to joy!
HUgs Kindred...and thanks for all that you share!
Victoria~