"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, January 14, 2011

No more Boo-hoo-hoos

Ok, I'm going to pretend nobody is reading this
And post some rather personal stuff
(wait I always do that -hee hee)
But I'm onto something here, I can feel it

I noticed in yesterday's photos
That I looked pretty damned happy
I had smiley eyes and a genuine smile
I had a unique (fun) style of dressing
and had just started to discover being me
And as I looked at more photos, something happened



If I put photos in chronological order after marriage #1
And flip through them like an animated flip book
You can almost see the change
In my eyes, clothing and smile
Along with my weight
And the color of my skin

It wasn't the new husband, it was married life
And at the same time I started it, I started the career
Stress, worry, long hours took their toll
Illnesses and problems seemed to multiply
Add to that the pressure of his family asking when I'd get pregnant
his working nights, my being lonely, and all the fertility drugs
And the subsequent weight gain
Some of the family on both sides started teasing me
about letting myself go
Telling me I really should lose weight


I wonder if they realized
that for every question and taunt
I magnified it 10x more in my head
until I couldn't stand being with myself
convinced I was a failure as a human being
I gave up
convinced myself I had one way out

 Funny thing
Once I made the decision to quit
And after 8 years of crapola
I got pregnant

But even getting what I'd always wanted
I forgot how to be happy
It was too late
His family asked about kid #2
Offered suggestions on losing weight
I was miserable and angry
And I walked out on marriage #1
Funny thing is, having grown up in my Mama's abusive marriage 
I knew never to fall into the same situation
I just never learned to watch out for what I could do to myself


Towards the end of marriage #1
I discovered the motorcycle
And a spark was lit deep inside my belly
I joined the women motorcycle gang
Got divorced
Bought a condo
Traded the bike for a bigger one

Everyone yelled
I thought they'd commit me
 I felt guilty for feeling 'real'
But with these acts I put a stop to the bullying
from myself and everyone around me



It's as if I died
And was given a second chance
Perhaps because I now recognize what happened
And I'm ready to discover myself again
Because I've noticed that the smile
the real one
Is coming back again

And the images in my head
that have been begging to spill onto the canvas
remind me of that person I was starting to become
before I got sidetracked
And my taste in clothes is trying to change
but I've been battling my head who tells me we're too old for that

Hmmm...perhaps I should die my hair blue
and freak myself out again
~ ~ ~ ~
So why is someone with body-image issues actually sharing so many pictures of herself? Because I will never forget how close I came to never having this second lifetime. Had things not changed, those last three pictures would have never existed. And I just want everyone to know, it's never that bad. No matter what your inner critic tries to tell you. It's never that bad. I just have to watch out not to pass judgment on the whimpy me then. I mean, hell, I know I'm stronger than that. Humppphhhh....

Oh, and your thoughts are downright powerful.
Thank God I figured this out and using them for good instead of bad.  
Hee hee like super powers.
I'll be Wonder Woman
~ ~ ~ ~
“Breakdowns can create breakthroughs. Things fall apart so things can fall together.”
unknown

10 comments:

  1. Wow Elena, what a wonderfully motivational and inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. I fully agree with John. Thanks for writing it. Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Superwoman! Is that a cape sticking out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why older people are frequently wiser than younger people. We learn to listen to our inner selves and to hopefully be true to that. I had a similar experience when at a family gathering, everyone looking though some old photos and one cousin said, upon seeing some old pictures of me, "Jan you had such a sparkle in your eyes! What happened?" He was just sort of joking, not trying to be mean. But it really hit me hard. Where had that sparkle gone? I've been working on getting it back, same as you. We have to listen to our true inner voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect post!!!
    May we all keep photos to do *self-check-ups* every now and then.
    Or on a regular basis! ;D

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful photos! And what a wonderful progression!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Transformation. You are like a butterfly! For sure.
    Happy Looks good on you. Keep doing what it takes to stay that way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the shape we must always accept is the circle...and when we do we realize that the journey around adds strength, understanding compassion, knowledge and wisdom.. you have completed a cycle and circle of self love. You and you only are the one to understand and make heads or tails about it all...the next step is as simple as one foot in front of the other and making the forward movement...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an inspiration.....I can read so much of my own issues in your posts. I'm working to overcome mine this year and started journalling. Hope to see changes in myself this year xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have made my day with this. Thank you ever so much!
    Janna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!