"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, September 21, 2009

Most Important Creation

I found an ideal part time job...but I can't take it - I'm not willing to make the commute again and it would cause problems for the owner. Personal vendettas. My left-brained subconscious threw a tantrum as it kicked against the walls in my head and sulked into the dark recesses. But a tiny little right-brained voice whispered "it's not time, you haven't learned your lesson". What? What lesson? Usually I give in to the left-brained tantrums but this time I listened.

Would life be any easier if we had one mode of thinking instead of this competition between two halves of the same brain. The war of logical vs random, rational vs intuitive. Or is it my lesson in this life to find the right balance between these two halves. And it occurred to me that although I feel I have grown since I left work and remarried, I haven't learned enough. I am sitting on that proverbial fence with a slight lean to the old me with the old ways of doing and thinking. The self-martyr, the worrier, the self-abusing, dramatic doomer. To jump back into the world now would not be jumping in with both feet but rather a precarious balance on one big toe. It wouldn't take much to make me teeter and fall. But how do I move this along at a faster pace. I'm not living forever, afterall.

But it made me realize that I have been handed a rare gift at this moment in my life. Because my hubby is busting his bootay to support me, and my ex is providing child support to my son, and I have connected with you all as teachers....I am able to stay home and try to learn my lesson. It's not about creating art. It's about my relationship with the process. I struggle with the experimentation because my logical side keeps trying to correct it. Construction teaches that being off an 1/8 of an inch can be detrimental but a mistake in an artistic creation could be just the thing you were looking for. And I find that some days I give in to the left brain and walk away because I don't know how to do it or it's wrong. Other days I charge through the roadblocks and just try it. Those are the best days. But there aren't many of those...yet.


Laura's collage class has been great. I feed off the energy of the other creative spirits and I think I can do it....until I get home. Then I have no clue. But I've been pretending and just doing it anyway - working through the battle in my head.

Part of me squirms when it sees the mess I'm making as I try to create. The other part wants to jump with glee and clap my hands as I say "WOW-look at the mess I made - COOL!" But hubby usually walks in, opens his eyes wide and walks back out. I know it drives him nuts to see the mess in here. So he stays out. Out of sight out of mind. It works for both of us.
I made myself an apron with a saying I saw on a blog. I thought it was fitting because afterall, I'm working on the most important creation of my life. I'm creating myself - I'm making an artist.



6 comments:

  1. The papers you have created are beautiful and inspiring!!! I wish I could have taken Laura's class too but now it not a good time. There seems no doubt to me that you are an artist!! But I understand about the struggle to create and how hard it is to turn off those internal censors and just "play" and "let it flow". Sounds like it should be so easy but we artist's know that it is NOT!!! You are taking some wonderful baby steps, finding your footing in the world of art!! Keep it up!! I truly believe that we are ALL creative beings and that we are healthier and happier when we are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better wear that apron today!!! and big smiles for the wonderful papers your making!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really understand the right/left brain struggle. I have fought it all my life. A big part of me wants to work with numbers and science. Things that can be proven. My art, for many years, was an attempt at being precise on paper. I started out as a technical illustrator. (Most artists will say that is not art.) Now, I am finally working in a medium that helps me work on the other part of my brain. Collage. I love the papers you are creating, and I hope you will continue to share. It is wonderful that you are near enough to Laura to take her class. Maybe someday, I will have enough money to travel there to take a class from her. Stay with the struggle. It is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mess...that's what your very own studio accepts....your space...to let go in....you are doing fine....Laura is fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that! Your "working" studio! Good for you and look at those wonderful papers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are several retired technical engineers and scientists in my life drawing group with serious intents at re-learning to see and draw. Myself, I am happy to stay crossed over in the zone... but then even more people would deem me insane.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!