~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes I long for the simple times as portrayed in old black and white movies shown during the Holidays. Times when people walked down the sidewalk saying hello to each other. Times when neighbors knew each others’ names and the names of their children. Times when you’d sit on the front porch with a glass of lemonade and invite passersby for a leisurely chat.
What happened to firm handshakes, looking someone in the eye and mean what you say? At work I could read someone by their handshake. Two out of ten give firm handshakes and turned out to be great people with old-fashioned work ethics. Beware the flimsy, barely touching handshake and shifty eyes. I wonder if people realize how much their body language says.
When did it become taboo to give someone a great big hug? My family wasn’t big on hugs until one day when I was about 14 I felt an overwhelming love for my brother and snuck a huge hug on him from behind. I figured if he didn’t see it coming he couldn’t whack me.
He laughed. I hug them all now and they hug back.
He laughed. I hug them all now and they hug back.
Aren’t we all part of this grand journey and can’t we be happy to see one another? Why do we hold back? I know I know – political correctness. No wonder we have a problem expressing our emotions…
I like living where I am now. I like when people wave as you pass. It’s lonely yet and sometimes I wish I had taken the time to make friends. You know, that one great buddy you sit outside with or give a squeeze hug to. But maybe it’s not meant to be on this journey. Still, can’t help but wish…Maybe I was just born too late.

You should live on my block...boring!
ReplyDeleteGive yourself time...making friends in a new area takes time...seek common interests...Neighbors are different...special in their own way..But how many people have neighbors that really are "friends" in that special kind of way...not too many...I never had that...but I have had and still do have lots of friends....from every interest I have...you'll be fine....you are fine..now get back into the studio
your best friend awaits you.....your talent
So glad you went for that ride, I'm so wish I would have continued my mini bike riding days into the motorcycle ride like you. to feel the wind and nothing stopping your view. good job of getting through lady!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm a big hugger...always have been... and wow, have I ever been able to convert some others who had no choice since I was always throwing myself on them...hee hee
ReplyDeleteand the handshake thing.....I SO agree....I don't care if it's a man or a woman....if I get a wimpy handshake it just grosses me out !! the one thing my hubby taught our kids...especially our son...was a stronge and solid handshake will get you places....he's got it mastered :)
I use to resist being hugged. I don't hug people. I think because it has the potential to "rob me" of control and its a trust issue. If I hug someone do I trust that person enough to relax and be vulnerable around.
ReplyDeletePlus I really would love to just bear hug people and then take a nap on them. Probably cry on them too because anyone I would feel okay doing this too I imagine being in love with. I also assume most people can't handle a squeezing hug like that. I am fat but rather strong, apparently much stronger than people expect.
I don't hug people for the same reason I don't look people in the eyes. I'm afraid. I'm afraid I'll get lost in them. I can get lost in my own eyes just looking at them really close in the mirror, imagine how cool other people's are. Its not acceptable to just stare at someone or get really close to their face and stare at their eye, or hug them and cling to them like its incredibly important. So I don't.
I let other people hug me. I look more often at the middle of people's chests (which gets awkward with women, and then I don't know where to look) and I rarely get to play with anyone. Like play fight, because I would be able to fling most people.
ideally some day I'd get an affectionate boyfriend who doesn't care about my weird social rules and just hugs me anyhow. but someday might be when I'm 50. There isn't any way to know.
sorry this is all long and only mildly relevant.
I love it Stevie! Those are the kind of hugs I mean. Great big, pop out your eyes, hugs. That's why I have a big dog. When she jumps up I squeeze hug her. Go ahead and look in people's eyes. There's alot of stories there...
ReplyDeleteSometimes, I regret that not hugging. It's often a lost opportunity. There's that fear of rejection. I was raised not to look into others eyes. How unladylike! It's been a challenge and sometimes a comfort when I don't want to share my pain.
ReplyDelete