Oh some 60+ years ago
They watched the farmer work the land
And together held strong against the weather
They watched the changes as the men came
They thought they’d be torn apart
But someone recognized their bond
And built the house around them
They felt part of the families
As they watched through the windows
He died first
She tried to go on without him
But felt her spirit dying
She awoke long enough
To welcome the new people
She even managed to sprout a few leaves
For the woman who hugged her tight
But it hurt to see him lifeless next to her
And she said goodbye to the land
And closed her eyes
And today they were taken down
Hand in hand they fell
Together as in life...
They’ll be recycled back into the land they loved
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Am I being dramatic? Yes. but I don't care. I have such a bond with trees and it hurt me alot to lose these two. I left a large section of their trunks. Perhaps I'll learn to carve....


How tall are the remainders? I would have left enough for woodpecker condos
ReplyDeleteSadly this happpens when developers find woods to build wooded lot homes on....they always die...well after the scondrels have gone...tree roots are very delicate and subject to grade changes....loved your poem
Beautiful words and no your not a sap for being in tone with nature we need more like you around. thanks for sharing this.
ReplyDelete~v~Laura
A very great loss indeed. My mulberry tree that Captain climbed is splitting and spreading, but soon must go before it lands on the neighbors roof! I always wanted a backyard totem.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous words from the heart. And the images that last one looking up into the trees wow! That blue effect blows me away.
ReplyDeleteI love nature as well. Once a construction company started plowing down trees near where I lived to build more property. I felt such sadness, the woods are my refuge and my friends. Caring about nature is a good thing!They are alive and deserve life just like all of us do.