"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Universal Studios

A few years ago I took my son to Universal Studios in Florida. My favorite was the Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast attraction which was a simulated ride. You sit in cars that simulate flying in the rocket along with Jimmy Neutron. As we rose high into the air and swooped off cliffs, over buildings and nose dived into the sea, I held on for dear life screaming my head off. My fingers hurt from the death grip I had on the handle bars and I was so afraid of falling that I forgot to actually enjoy the ride. I dared to look to the side and saw my son and sister having a great time. I looked to my other side and noticed the woman next to me look bored. She was sitting with her arms crossed and I thought she might be sleeping. Was she nuts? She was going to fall if she didn't hang on! Then I looked down and realized we were only a couple feet off the ground. Hmmmm. I could have sworn my life was in danger.

So I suppose there's a lesson here. I was so focused on fear that I couldn't enjoy the moment or see it for what it was. Once I took the time to focus on the present situation, I realized it wasn't at all what my mind had made it out to be. But by the time I realized it, the ride was over. So we got on again and this time I enjoyed myself to the hilt. Especially when we came to a bouncing crash landing and my chest was bouncing so much I was thankful I wasn't more endowed. Of course my sister being smaller swore she saw my chest bouncing off my chin. Humph!

Now comes the true lesson:

Enjoy the ride, ignore the fear, because there's no getting on again once its over.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a deep thinker, Elena. Lately some of my days go by in a blur. I want them to be slower and I yearn to savor the good things in each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful to learn life lessons anywhere at any time. My head and stomach take that ride fear and twist it like a bad drunk. I don't do rides.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!