Moms, please set me straight on this.
I'm sure you realize by now just how much I despise girls/women who take advantage of men. Don't get me wrong, I hate when men do the same. But it's the fact that these type of women have a "you-owe-me" attitude that...UGGHHH! I know it started in high school when I overheard the girls planning this type of behavior toward future husbands. I couldn't believe it. I wasn't raised that way. How could someone DO that? So anyway, I really need your words to ease my angered spirit.
Issue #1
When hubby sold his house a few years ago to a coworker, he felt badly for the woman since she was short $25k and the bank wouldn't lend her anymore. He lent her the money by lowering the cost, signed a quit claim, and had her sign a promissory note to say she owed him the $25k. Stupidly, the promissory note was never returned. Her word against his now. She called a few months ago to say she doesn't owe him anything and he can't prove it. She called last week to say she bought a new car. Nice.
Issue #2
I like my step son's girlfriend - she's sweet and treats him well but...just something I can't put my finger on. They're rather close and may eventually get married. My step son bought his first house. A great house that only this economy would have allowed him to afford. Since the purchase the girlfriend and her family have been hanging out decorating acting as if it's their house. She's much different around her mom and aunts. They're all snobby, like to be catered to, have the entitled attitude, and walk around the place with smirks.
It's causing fights between my step son and his mom. I can't say anything because I'm not related. Except one day when we were all there helping clean, I got tired of hearing the girl say her aunt was coming over to help decorate again. I finally asked if she was moving in. I asked if she was still in school working towards her architectural degree (I figured I could put her in touch with some firms) and she gave me some baloney about Biology and the more I asked the redder she got. Turns out she's been thinking of dropping out. Sure, why not, the guy has the house why should she make anything of herself now! Now she buys this $900 dog that she's keeping at the house! What, there aren't any in pounds worth saving? With what money? She's a hostess at a restaurant and should be saving the money she makes. My step son worked his ass off to get this house. I hate to see these leeches take over. I get so so so so angry and can't control it. I've decided not to go over anymore but hubby says this will only hurt my step son's feelings because he likes me. I can't watch this without saying something and I'm trying to stay out of it. This isn't even my son! What the hell will happen if this was?
I can see it starting to cause a rift between families that may eventually be joined. It's causing tension between hubby and I because he says his ex and I are overreacting and women aren't like that. I can't sit by watching this so would rather not be there. Then again, nothing has really happened. It's just I can usually read people pretty well....
So do I just stay away and act like an ostrich putting my head in the sand? Or do I just tell hubby and his ex not to discuss their concerns with me because I won't stand by quietly?
A wonderful psychotherapist once said,"you get the life you deserve" I know this at first glance sounds harsh...but it means ..our life is choices...we live by our choices...The trick is to see this as empowering..If your hubby didn't do it in a legal way....expensive mistake...he was the foolish one in this regard,no matter how good his intentions were...when it comes to transactions..get a lawyer
ReplyDeleteYour stepson's house...stay out of it...It is his life...his choice to have this woman, who he obviously likes, to move in...we have no power there. His father could give him a fatherly bit of advise..but he won't listen..he's in love..and he, like the rest of us, will have the life he chose..the one he deserves because of his choice.
If he can buy a house...he can live his own life..good or bad, in our eyes...stay out of it.
Don't blame the women....they are only minor players in this drama..the men are the main characters. Empathize with your husband..it is hurtful that he is out the money...but it's over...unless you seek legal advise. Your stepson...love him and accept him...good choices or bad...and let him make his own mistakes...that's how he'll learn to not repeat them..
I find it curious that you saw all this as "those women" problem
Maybe this is not what you wanted to hear...but I offer it lovingly....stay out of the drama
Suz, I was so hoping you'd be one to comment. I value your advice because it's not sugar coated. I know I have to stay out of the drama - I just don't know how to shut off my feelings towards it so it doesn't ferment in my head. I'm afraid if I try to numb it out-then I can't create because I'm shutting down. Oh so confusing. But I agree, hubby was stupid. And I guess I'm just afraid his son will do the same. But he's an adult and I love him from afar. Anyway, I was thinking maybe I'm projecting my guilt into this situation. I will never get over the shame of hubby supporting me right now. Anyway, huge hug Suz!
ReplyDeleteYes I agree stay out of the drama and if you need to be a part put it better use then what you despise in others. don't come to their games they only leave you with the blame of it all. And face your fears about this. As what really is it. That you see this young hussy coming in and taking contol of the young good man. manipulating him and pulling him around with a leash? As Suz comments not to be harsh but in a case like this we need the good advice from some honest loving people to crack the 2 by 4 over our heads to see the issues that have us caught up in things that is not a positive movement for us. this stuff will give you heart burn.... no REally. You need to address the feelings you have about this be them small or big and from my experience it hard to go the hubbies especally when it's their blood. Been there done that...I always looked like the one that was crazy... hard as it seem when we stay in tune with ourselves we are better off grabbing some popcorn and watching the movie play out... it will be tough but the good always play out over the bad... remember that girl friend have faith... Ok off my stool now... hehahah Great advice there Suz... can I call on you sometime??? hahaha.
ReplyDeleteYou shut off the feelings... by saying to yourself...I have no power here....that's it..simple
ReplyDeleteShutting down because of someone else's problems, that they willing went into? Why? You have no power in anyone else's life..If his son does the same...you have no power there..
I have no clue what shame you bare...shame comes from our behavior...which we can forgive...there you have power. You have lots of love around you..dwell there
And for the painting, creating thing...you are battling "resistance"...there you have power
Get the book."The War of Art" it is all about Resistance....I think you might like it
Ooh heavy topics. For the money thing sounds like there's nothing that can be done there. A hard lesson to learn but take it as that. A lesson your husband had to learn. We all go through our lessons as we travel through life. They make us who we are. Now as for the step son issue. Everyone marches to the beat of their own drum. Its his beat not yours. He has to make his own choices and learn his own lessons to reach his full potential. You need to stay out of it. By protecting someone they will not experience everything they need to experience. This is what life is all about. Learning lessons and building knowledge by experience. We teach our children the best we can to have the skills to live life and then we have to let them go and do it. Its their own path, their own journey and we need to step back and let them experience it. Like Suz said, you are powerless. Let it go and let him experience his life with all the good bits and the bad as that will make him be the person he is meant to be.
ReplyDeleteThere's good advise floating all around. Mistakes are made and lessons learned. Remember youth? When we knew it all and elders were from a different time? Only offer advise when asked. Maybe they'll learn hard lessons together and grow stronger together. Letting go can be so difficult, but now your job is to listen and maybe end up consoling. But my guess is your son in law wants you to celebrate what he sees as accomplishments.
ReplyDelete