Supposedly we choose the families we'll be born into
Meant to assist with the specific lessons
For the journey in this lifetime
I chose well
The family of six
All so very different from one another
And led by the strongest woman I've ever known
Born into poverty
Leaving grade school after only a few years
To tend to the crops and animals
Leaving her beloved Mexico with a baby in tow
To find the husband who had left to find work
Not knowing the language, customs, people
In an unfriendly land
She refused to be broken
By the things life presented
Nothing could stop her
Poverty, alcoholism, abuse, and losing a son
may have come close
But with the factory salary
She paid for the home, the Catholic schools, the food
And she loved
And taught her family to appreciate and to love
And she turned 80 yesterday
And I thank God I had the wisdom
To choose well
Happy Birthday Viejita
(Viejita is 'little old lady' - something I call her with the utmost love & respect)
(But anyone else calls her this I would tear their arms out)


A very Happy Birthday to your mama. Mine would have turned 83 tomorrow!!! We both chose well!!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to your mama
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to your Mama. What a journey for her, she must have lots of stories to tell. She sounds so inspiring and strong. My mama would have turned 82 on January 21st, so looks like a few Aquarian moms here! She was my hero and my best friend. Blessings to all our Mamas, they chose us well too......
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to Mama!
ReplyDeleteoh...a very happy birthday to your mama ! 80 years old and I can tell she is just filled with spunk and has the voice of reason ! I bet she's a great hugger, too !
ReplyDeleteher life sounds like a book you could write....seriously, have you thought about it ?
and the moon tonight....cripes I hope it brings me something....anything....energy, light, wisdom.....I'm really so easy that way and I'm not asking for much :)
happy weekend to you !!....it's going to be warm outside, in relative terms....will the bikes be out ?
She's beautiful, Elena. Beautiful photograph.
ReplyDelete