"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, January 11, 2010

Walls

I wish I could respond to everyone's comments. They are always so insightful and meaningful - and I value them greatly. But sometimes a comment is short and cryptic and I don't know what it means. When I first read "walls so many walls" I didn't know what to make of it. Then I thought, hmmm, perhaps I am building walls again and I worried that my perceived steps forward were actually steps back. Perhaps my ego was being creative and found new ways to recreate the 'same ole same ole' way of thinking. Oh, that crazy ego.

But I looked inside and it didn't feel that way. And I remembered how good I was at building walls. They were impenetrable-I could put the old masters to shame. But when they started coming down, only a few were left among foundations sitting in the rubble. And in 2009, pathways started appearing in this new terrain. And sure, new walls begin forming to replace the old. But the foundations are rocky and the masters are dead. But I don't mind these new walls. They are rather porous and create pretty patterns where the light filters through. They are short enough that they provide good resting areas for me to take a breather and study the terrain. And when these newbie walls crumble and fall, new paths are formed in this constantly changing environment.


And I learned to embrace the mental wall concept instead of fearing it. Because they will only gain the stronghold they had if I let them. I am in charge. The impenetrable walls served their purpose when they were most needed. Times have changed. And although I no longer need them to create the fortress I once had, I don't want them to disappear altogether. The constant flux of walls forming and falling, foundations, rubble and pathways make for a pretty damned interesting and exciting environment. The constant challenge is what encourages self-growth and creativity. I suppose it would be pretty boring sitting in a flat valley of endlessness. Where I know what to expect and there is nothing to encourage growth.

It's like my son's video games. Where you suddenly open new levels and new challenges. It makes the game more exciting, albeit a bit frustrating.

It's like riding the motorcycle. Although the straight roads are safe and predictable, it's the other roads that provided the best experience, lessons and memories. The white-knuckled hairpin mountain turns have me gritting my teeth but at the end I can't ignore the intense satisfaction of having achieved it. The downpours or winds that make you pray for another chance to set your feet on solid ground make it that much sweeter when you put the kickstand down.



It's similar to the zone you experience during creating; where your spirit, ego & physical self blend together to form a perfect union. And you step back and enjoy the intense pride.


I welcome the walls with open arms. I know they'll provide new learning opportunities & won't get too high. I know things will always be in flux; constantly changing. It may be difficult at times & I may want to quit but I'm not alone in my new terrain. All I have to do is reach out my hand. Or be still long enough to listen to wisdom.

There are lots of places to rest; to recoup and weigh my options. To look at things differently and try to find the lesson. Instead of fighting it, to embrace it.

Because just like I love making my motorcycle dance around the curves; I'm rather enjoying the dance around my new terrain.



I'm not sure if that's what was meant
by the walls comment,
but thanks for the valuable lesson I almost overlooked.


It's good to have wisdom along the journey

7 comments:

  1. All of what you're going through sounds very familiar to me. One thing about blog posts and comments that bothers me is that I miss having those cues of facial expression, intonation, body language, etc. to help me interpret the words. The written word alone can easily be misread or misinterpreted, especially if we've never see the writer and spoken to them in person.

    Your previous post hit close to home, too. I left the corporate world years ago, but I still feel that "snobishness" toward certain jobs, too. I've discovered that in my case I still value (despite my best efforts) the professional titles others "in power" give us. Even though I have seen these titles given to people and taken away again with little regard to how it affects the employee. I once was able to say to people, " I am (insert title here)," because someone gave me that title. Now I have to define myself and sometimes feel like an imposter because I've given myself the title. No supervisor has given it to me, which always seemed to give it more validity.

    Sorry to ramble on!
    :0)
    Maybe this will help you understand your own struggles a bit more. I hope so!

    I can see how you are growing, though, and I see how you are finding peace with wherever you find yourself in life.

    Hugs,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, its quite amusing how differently people perceive things. When I read 'walls so many walls' I immediately thought of all the art to be made to fill those walls hehehe. Maybe I think too much about art. What do you reckon???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just witness your journey and personal discoveries. Knodding my head, saying yes I do understand... What a gift your are giving your self by looking inward for answers and finding great adventures long the way.
    Too Many more adventures woman!!!

    I've rode my share of fun and funky toys growing up and it's such a gas..heheheh. I do thing about riding one or on the back of one but I think if I was to be true to myself I would have to be on the back of horse exploring the terrain. Honor what ever choices we make as long as we head off in the sunset with a good heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do hope my comments are succinct. I think most walls are good, except those around your heart. Fences make good neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I missed the whole walls thing, but...I'm all for being true to what your inner self is saying and looking to other women for wisdom while we travel this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. walls...I love them....especially the ones that are crumbling down, where i can take out an old stone to create an opening to see if I like what's on the other side, knowing I can always close that opening back up if I don't like what I see...

    and walls to climb on....to take my wings higher when the ground just isn't cutting it....oh yes, walls are a good thing in so many ways !!

    love love love your take on the left behind comment...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!