"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, January 4, 2010

A Shift - Part I

Thirteen years ago this week I walked into a doctor's office with shortness of breath and chest pains. I left there with a prescription to 'magic pills', a handful of samples, and a warning that I should learn to live with it because once I fell into a depression I would always fall into it again. I cried all the way home. I had gone for help and was handed pills and shooed back home. I spent the entire month of January hidden at home. On the couch, with shades drawn, lights off. Me and my magic pills.

When I finally ventured back to work and the outside world, I was no longer 'depressed'. The magic pills did a fine job of killing all emotions. I was now zombified and gaining weight because of them. I couldn't sleep so I went back to the doctor who handed me sleeping pills with a smile. Take these, you'll be fine. And I did. And what a deadly combination. One night I didn't think they were working. I couldn't sleep. So I must have kept taking them during the night. I don't know how many. Until I reached a point where I felt fine but from my perspective I was on the ceiling looking down at my sleeping body. But along the floor were rolling shadows like furry balls trying to get onto the bed. It scared me senseless but I couldn't do anything about it. At some point I woke up to my hubby crying and shaking me saying that I wasn't breathing. I jumped off the bed to look for the fur balls. I realized then that I must have accidentally taken way too many pills. I flushed everything down the toilet, opened a bible and cried for help. I never did go back to that doctor.

But I did get angry.

I lost 5 months of my life in a medicine-induced stupor.

And the anger created a shift within me.

I never did fall into another depression.

I never needed magic pills again.

I never needed sleeping pills again.

I had to learn to trust differently

And begin to recreate myself

5 comments:

  1. Oh dearest Elena! I'm so glad you worked your way through the depression and don't rely on drugs. That must have been such a frightening experience for you and your husband. I know a little about depression myself. It runs in my dad's side of the family, too, so I have to try to catch myself when I feel it coming.

    I wish you all the best for a year of growth, happiness, and most of all - CONTENTMENT.

    Hugs and love,
    xo
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are still with us! I'm glad you got angry! Initiates change. It's awful that drugs are prescribed rather than exercise and nutrition. But mostly sunshine which can be in short supply during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. last year, a doctor thought I was depressed, instantly wrote a prescription and sent me on my way....
    I filled it and brought it home and looked at it and said...no fucking way can I do this....and threw them all in the garbage.

    I do take something every now and then to help me sleep, but for the most part I just laugh a lot and that seems to make life pretty damn good.....damn doctors !

    sorry for swearing, but sometimes those doctors are just plain crazy !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elena, I'm so sorry to hear this : ( Reminds me of what happened to myself about 10 years ago. Happy to hear you are on a better road.

    All my best

    Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!