So, you may think I forgot all about that book I was following. Nope. Seems I got stuck at the organizing part. I have reorganized every cabinet, closet, drawer, crawlspace...in the house. I only have one pile left...the pictures. And I didn't know if I was ready yet. And today I was surprised to find that I could look at them without crying. But I discovered a new emotion which I'll call regretful anger.
And with that I am about to contradict myself. I said I wouldn't blame anyone for mistakes I've made. But for one post I am going to give my child-self a voice. I am going to release the pent up tantrum that wants to throw herself onto the floor kicking and screaming. Why here? Because I have kept quiet for so long, only releasing little bits and pieces like emotional vents. And because somebody just reached out to me and I want them to know everything is going to be ok. You do heal.
I don't know how to love somebody and Dad it's all your fault. It's not okay to have mistresses and flaunt them in front of your family. Do I have other siblings? It's not okay to get drunk and try to kill your wife every night. And then wake up like nothing happened. Do you realize what it's done to each of your kids and how they handle relationships? Do you know why I have an uncontrollable need to plan for the future? I didn't know if I was going to be left alone. And do you know how hard it is to keep things secret when the neighborhood hears things crashing? Do you know what it does to someone when they love and hate you all at once? And Mom you should have left when I begged. I'll never understand the one-sided love. And siblings, why did we have to pretend nothing happened. You all left and I didn't know what was right or wrong. And do you know what happens when an uncle and cousins know you have no voice and that your parents are too busy to notice you? And that when you ask for help you shouldn't just be patted on the head like you don't matter? But Mom you taught me amazing strength and that a woman could be mom and dad. And I'll love you always for that.
And I was sent out into the world on a foundation I had created based on lies, self-hate, and proof that love between a man & woman didn't exist or last. And when I looked at the pictures I felt sorry for myself. I miss what my first hubby and I could have had. It's my fault we got divorced. And I'll always regret that. But just for today I will be a baby and blame my childhood. Just for today.
I wish I could go back and confront all those who hurt me but they're all dead. And then I realized why I was so embarrassed when I said I wanted to be important or noticed. I had to shut up for so long that after a while you just want somebody to know you're alive. I'm not conceited. It was just my baby-self trying to speak up. Don't get me wrong, my Mom and sisters made things as happy as possible whenever they could. But there was too much I couldn't talk about and that we couldn't share. And you begin to believe the lies that you told yourself. And eventually it becomes hard to tell yourself the truth and you get lost. And you take people down with you...perhaps that's what happened to my Dad. And it would take pages and pages for me to confess all my mistakes so I'll just say I hope I'll be forgiven for all the crap I've done. I know better now...too late.
But, I found my voice now. And I can't shut up. And almost two years ago I started chapter 2 of my life. And this one has no lies. And I'm trying to learn to love. But the biggest challenge has been learning to believe in myself. And to trust (whoa, my word for the year). But now that I've blown the top wide open, perhaps the rest of the little vampires that are lurking in the shadows will get fried by the light.
Chapter 1 - Wow, I was young! And skinny! Chapter 2 - Gained a family and umm-some pounds!
I suppose that's why I haven't been able to stop organizing.
And the re-organization seems to be spilling into my emotional 'house' as well.
Sorry you all had to 'hear' this but again, for the person who reached out, I am here for you.
And this pity chapter is now closed.
And gone.


It is never to late.... when it is right it is right for you to look back... they say do that but don't stare and it seems that you are doing what you need to heal... So much that you are going through is for you to deal with and the pain that is in front and around the sides is for you personal growth and now one elses...
ReplyDeleteOne doesn't always understand till after the go through it what wisdom they will gain. You are a couragous woman... Great strength is forming and it is through you experiences.
AHo!
~v~Laura
elena....
ReplyDeleteI'm hugging you right now....and wiping tears from my eyes....and wishing that I didn't feel so much and so hard for others....but it's what I'm always guilty of and I know you'll accept for being that way....
I love how your heart has opened up and how your ability to be so incredibly brave has skyrocketed here...
and now I'm hugging you again.....and again.....and now can we just sit and drink tea and talk ???
xoxoxxoox
This is so sad, and yet so hopeful.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I've had horrible experiences in my life that have made me who I am. When you learned to use these memories and feelings to heal, like you have, that's a good thing. These memories and feelings can help us grow, and maybe we can even come to understand that those who hurt us were victims of their own demons and circumstances. As long as we don't stay stuck in anger and regret, as long as we can move forward and live our best possible life, it's good to remember the bad and feel hurt and anger - sometimes.
You are an amazing person, Elena. Don't regret your past, as it is behind you. I can see how you are looking forward and moving on, and it makes my heart so glad for you.
I send you many hugs and lots of love,
xoxoxoxo
Angela
You have come so far in the last year, you should be very proud of yourself. It is so easy to let regret and past lies consume all your positive energy. It is important, instead, to acknowledge them and use them to make you the strong, loving woman you are today. Add my hugs and kudos to the others. Have a joy filled day.
ReplyDeleteGood expressions here. I don't recall which book it was, maybe Jess Lair's "I Ain't Much Baby, But I'm all I got" states what happens to you in your youth you have no control over, what you do with that learning as an adult is where you have control. All the healing recognition you have been expressing is tremendous growth!
ReplyDeleteElena, you were beautiful then and you are beautiful now. You are where you are...love where you are...love
ReplyDeletego forward
it is the only direction that can take you somewhere
Hugs Elena. I had a mother like yours. That's what I concentrate on. She's my hero.
ReplyDelete