"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Shame in Art?

I loved drawing when I was small. I loved the smell of crayons and freshly sharpened pencils. I loved sitting with my Mama and sketching something on white dish towels so that she could embroider them. Sometimes she would bring small bits of paper from the book factory and I would try not to use them so they wouldn't go to waste. I was really afraid of my Dad. One rare day, I sat next to him as he picked up my pencil and drew a woman's face. I sat there amazed. "You draw?!" I saw him in a different flicker. Between bad times, I could connect to these two people via drawing. The same with kids in school or those who often stayed with us.

But once I started working there were two comments that have always stayed with me. As a student intern in a government office I was sketching at lunch. The supply guy looked horrified and said "don't be doodling, people are going to think you're wasting tax payers money!". I told him I was on lunch. My time. He said 'the people' won't know that. Given that I had a sandwich in one hand and pencil in the other I figured 'the people' must be pretty stupid. I felt ashamed then. Maybe drawing wasn't really good. It felt good but perhaps it was meant to be done in private. Turns out my boss saw this same doodling and approached me later. Told me to continue drawing but not to make it a career. You'll starve so find something that may incorporate some drawing but makes money. So I suppose then art is 'bad'? So I put away the pencils and crayons and started my career as a space planner, facilities and project manager. I sketched floorplans. Whoo hooo.....

And as I've been lurking among the weeds on my journey lately I've been wondering about this thing called 'art'. My dearest Laura sent me the movie "Who does she think she is". It was great but made me sad. I lack that type of passion. I have since seen other movies where the titles don't matter because the plots are basically the same; student dancer fights against the odds to enter dance school, artist, photographer, pilot fight for same, each struggling against being told no and achieving their dreams. And I take this all in and decide I don't have that passion. I try to move on but the thought of drawing or painting still lurks within. Ever walk into a spider web and even though you can't see it you can feel the little tickle of webs on your arms? Like that. That's how the tickling feels inside.

So I thought of going to school to work on a Bachelor of Art in General Studio. As I weighed this with a BA in Management, I did my research. And as word got out, two comments surfaced that have made me stop and think. Hearing of my plan, my brother told my mom something along the lines of "...wants to go to school to what?? Make pretty little pictures? Why waste her time and money?" My mom explained it's what I've always liked to do so he said there was no reason why I couldn't just practice and teach myself. I swear he sounds so much like my dad's voice in my head.

And another "...maybe you need to reassess your idea about what the art thing is;  is it really just a form of fun doodling and passing the time, or is it a passionate, fully immersed form of self expression?  The latter is what produces priceless pieces of art.  The former may be just a self absorbed form of escape from life's challenges and responsibilities...". Uh oh. I'm the Queen of Avoidance so perhaps that's what I'm trying to do. Pretend to be an artist so I could hide my head in the sand. But then there's that 'passion' thing again. And I like studying the people around me and recognizing those with passion and those without. Are they born with it? Is is something they learn? Are there degrees of passion? How much passion do you have to have that would refuse being squashed? Like the weeds that come up no matter what you do to them. Do they have passion?

As for me? 
I lack passion. 
 I'm more of a tepid dreamer who dreams of being passionate.

10 comments:

  1. Elena! you are a beautiful artist..it is just something you already are! no permission required! and i learned long ago..to really understand what "I" truly value..and to be in love with that..i value creativity, expression and all artforms..there is a universal wound of all artists that needs to be healed..and little by lttle when we decide to say..I LOVE that i am an artist..the wound lessens and heals....and we create universal Empowerement..and art and all artfroms become highly valued!

    notice your audience..like food..you shouldnt; worry if not everyone likes desert right? find other enthusiasts who love art like you...and build there...it is a place where others value what YOU value!

    some poeple simply are not creative or value creativity or artistry t all..so they shut it down..look in another direction..there is a reason the arrow of art wants to fly wiht you guiding it..be YOU! create art because it brings YOU joy..no other reason!

    once i stopped trying to fit in with others "value system" or justifying mine.. i became "me" with wings! i love art..i create it because it brings me joy..it does not matter how others view it..or think about me..once you get over being distracted by what others think..you will really bloom! all the more reason to follow your bliss..you do not need others to 'get it"..bring yourself fully to life..create! how do you think the world changes or the mass consciousness shifts?...by going for what you love..and strengthening that current...create art..however you feel drawn..you do not have to become a certain persona..be you..if you passion comes out loud..be loud..if it is quiet passion whisper...and bring your JOy and your gifts OUT!

    it is time to be who you are without apology..approval..or validation..self-value is the greatest gift you can give yourself..
    I value you..i value the artistry and fellow artist in you! Shine on!
    Hugs
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena, when we hit midlife and realize there are thing we wanted to do and did not get to, it stings. But my take on all of it is this; I have one life to live, and I daily want to do something that I consider creative. Others might not, but if *I* do that is all that matters.Creativity is a broad range of things, includingthe beautiful writing you do on your blog.
    Most of us, from my age group (which we won't discuss!) all got the same story about art school versus a *real* job. You know what? I have friends with MFAs that tell me over and over that unless you are looking to teach or curate, you spend the rest of your life unlearning what your proffs have crammed into your head.
    We are the ones who seek our own path, and thought the road is circuitious, we do find it.
    You're on it; you just don't know it yet! ;)

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elena, you ask so many tough questions!! Good questions but tough ones!! I think the fact that you can't just walk away from art, wash your hands of it and move on---that says a LOT! If it's what you love to do and it gives you pleasure just do it! Tell all the wet blankets and doubters where thay can go---you have to make YOU happy!! Degrees don't matter, making money from art doesn't matter, you already ARE an artist!!! I am lost too. I know with all my being that I have the heart and soul of an artist. I can't seem to find my "niche" in the art world but I keep trying because I know that I can no longer live without art and creativity in my life. My soul was sick without it!! So keep "doodling"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sound extremely passionate to me! If your art is anything like your writing, it will be deep, colorful, amazing!!!
    No more teasing! Out yourself! Let's see some art
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. I haven't been writing or reading blogs for awhile, took some time away from reading to write. Just want to say that I always enjoy your processing. Hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not going to say circle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just have one thing to say Elena, do what makes you happy. Don't worry about others or what others think, worry about Elena and what she wants out of life. Go do it girl, whatever it may be. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DONT let anyone tell you what you can and can't do! Passion doesn't always have to be a driving force for your creative outlet either. You have to love doing it. Take it from a self confessed craft-a-holic! I LOVE to create and I have a PASION for it too but the passion doesn't make me rich from it. I do make a little money every now and then but it always goes back into buying for supplies for making something else I have wanted to make. Plus a lot of it I keep and it doesn't get sold. I'd love to be able to use my hobby as a profitable business but then wonder if HAVING to make stuff to sell would take the love and enjoyment out of it. If you love to draw girl DRAW. You need something you enjoy. What do these people know about your passion?? ...I bet they have something they're passionate about that others don't understand.
    My brother collects plastic movie figures..some he's paid hundreds of dollars for I've looked at and thought OMG what a total waste of money...but he loves them ...but then I would more than likely spend equally as much on a fairy doll...but I know he wouldn't! If we were all the same the world would be boring. Do what you love Elena...stuff what others think..at the end of the day they're at home doing their own thing..you do yours and be happy :)
    hugs
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh.. one more thing before I get off my soap box ;)
    I agree with Robin...my creativity is a "need".. I know there are others who wouldn't understand but I dont care...I go nuts if I dont make something regularly. Its an escapism as much as fun. I forget about all my troubles and just lose myself in my work...like losing yourself in a good book. It is good for the soul, almost like meditation...I always feel happier I've made something I like...even if no one else does.
    I'm stepping down now <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elena, I felt the same way after watching that movie, but the passion is simply hidden behind priorities. It would be another form of depression as that much depression is squelched. Maybe even a breakdown. But hearing your response I can only think... they summed up their whole lives in ten minute segments of sharing! Of course they didn't show the down times!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!