"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, March 8, 2010

Field Trip!

Last night I had an odd dream
I was asked to drive a race car in a competition
When I responded that I'd never driven a race car
They said it was no problem-I just had to complete 31 laps
I said ok, no problem
Just like that
No questioning or worrying
As I made my way from deep sleep to lazy stirrings
I wondered what the message was in such a crazy dream
And the response was
Live your life fully, without fear, and trust that things will work out
No matter how crazy they may seem

And with this message I set out on my out of the ordinary adventure
To fulfill item #24 of my bday list
I met a blogger in person
I met Lisa at the Chicago Cultural Center


We visited the Hollis Sigler Expect the Unexpected exhibit - emotionally strong works dealing with illness & death. Beautifully vibrant colors where she incorporates the frames into the works of art. The text runs around the frame bringing you up close. My favorite was a room-sized exhibit created to mimic the room in one of her paintings with the same vibrant colors on the walls and her artwork hanging within.                                                                           Then there was Angelo Otero's Touch with Your Eyes exhibit where the works are very tactile. He uses oil, oil skins and silicone on canvas. Very intriguing. Made me want to come home and find the caulk gun. I enjoyed viewing all the exhibits with an artist in tow. Someone who points out the techniques and offers explanations or advice.






Then of course the Chicago Cultural Center itself is a work of art
The photos don't do it justice
The exquisite detail in the glass mosaic tiles, the dome, the architecture,
the patina on the copper roof panels
There was just so much to see
And of course it was Classical Monday with the Juliani Ensemble performing in the Great Hall


Of course I couldn't resist taking photos of Millennium Park's Cloud Gate (The Bean) by Anish Kapoor




I even found a cardinal playing tourist and Lisa gave me this really cool book

And although I HATE showing my face
I just had to post a photo of my new friend, Lisa
I'm just so thrilled that she reached out to me
And has offered so much wisdom and advice
Even sharing some of her beautiful journals
And a promise to meet for another trip 
This time to the Art Institute

Thanks Lisa
And tell Mike, see, I wasn't a big scary biker (hee hee)

8 comments:

  1. Love that last comment!
    You scary! ha ha ha!
    You are the sweetest!
    and you're looking good there Elena!
    keep doing what you're doing
    Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love that you had a get away with a fellow blogger....and what a get away it was !

    the photos are wonderful....love that park and want to to go there... like now....BUT WAIT....YOU ? IN A PHOTO ? ON YOUR BLOG ?

    WAIT....let me rub my eyes....there, but you're still there ! it really is you !!
    good thing I know what you look like now so when you show up at our cottage I won't have to get out the shotgun :)

    and you my dear sweet freind...stop that hiding !!! you are BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never hate showing your face!!! It is lovely, well structured and a delightful smile. You could light a room when you walk in!
    Think nothing less of yourself......
    Now I'm off to get my morning dose of torture by my therapists. LOL!!!
    Great post---have a good one Elena!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you two met! You are both so lovely, it's such a pleasure to see your beautiful smiling faces!
    :0)
    Hugs and love,
    xo
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome day you had!! And the photos are beautiful (you included!!!). I recognised Lisa's photo from her blog which I discovered thru you Elena--so many connections going on! Your courage and determination on this journey are truly inspiring!! And I am constantly blown away by how well you express yourself!!
    Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was such a great time! Looking forward to our next trip : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smiles for you both, what a great day and so happy you are living it, being that full time person you so meant to be.. Peace to you both.
    ~v~Larua

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful day! I've not been to the Cultural Center yet. More things to put on my list. Love the photos of the city in fog. I tried to get those on my trip, but the film was split in half and couldn't be developed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!