"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Just Monday Musings...

"I don't know if you're the right Elena but...."

So, I finally started using Facebook more often. I held out really long accepting a certain friend because it was the one person I knew was safely blocking the way. You know the one who will come with a bunch of other friends who will want to be on your list of friends. And alot of these I didn't want to reconnect with; people who I thought were phony before I knew better than to be choosy.

But since I'm on this new quest to life I decided to do the opposite of what my head said and I accepted the friend invitation. Funny thing is that it opened up a whole network of reconnections to people I had forgotten about. People I apparently liked at some early point in my journey.

And since my profile photo is of my bike, almost every invitation starts with "I don't know if you're the right Elena...." and leads into the "did you always like motorcycles". And I have reconnected with grade school chums and people from the neighborhood. And one person said it sounds like I'm really enjoying life. But through the questions and the pictures I start to wonder if I really am the right Elena. I don't remember half the people or things they're talking about. I remember them by sight but I don't remember the things they say we used to talk about or do.

And I worry. Am I losing my mind already? Did I drink too much when I turned 21 and does booze really kill brain cells? Did the fertility drugs kill the rest of my memory cells? Was I just too busy worrying about everything in the future to live completely in the present and perhaps didn't retain anything? Or do I really need to start doing those memory-boosting exercises.

And I find it amusing when they say it's as if they never knew me...didn't know I liked motos or art or anything. I want to say yeah me too. This is actually a new life for me. One I just started living a few years ago. So I may not be the Elena they remember, I'm not quiet anymore. I'm a new Elena. And I'll probably keep changing. And I love motorcycles and I enjoy life and live in the present now. So chances are good I'll remember them again.

But just in case....I think I'll start carrying my name & phone number in case I forget and someone has to bring me home.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how many lives we sometimes live? If you had told me just a few years ago that I'd be painting and loving it, I would have thought you were crazy. I've definitely changed drastically over my life and I think that's good. And some of our friends stay with us throughout those changes and others fall by the wayside. Wishing you a wonderful week!! Love, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh...reconnecting to a life that was still developing changing rapidily..(our youth) I always question those that remember so well too. do that have a life or are the stuck in the memories? I relate.... don't worry about it lady go and enjoy life.. and live it be the moment less to drag around...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL....that last line.....yeah, me too !

    and you know what ? "what beth"......hee hee
    I'm not the same person I was either....and I think that's a wonderful thing to still be alive and have been someone different, then we are today....and today, being able to know that we honestly are different....new, fresh, alive and making new memories....

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know, I've changed so much since high school that it is like I'm a new person. When i connect with old friends from high school, it's almost like I'm meeting someone new because so much has changed. I think that's happening for you and it's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!