A week into my new marriage, my mom told my husband not to give into my whims. He laughed and said, "that's what I do - what Elena wants, she gets." Now you would think I could take advantage of that but he's just lucky I'm not that kind of person. But to say he spoils me would be an understatement. And often these may seem very strange to those outside our little family.
A regular jaunt to the store for socks led into this conversation:
Me: "OOOOOH!!! LOOK!" Spinning the shopping cart full circle balanced on two wheels to retrace my steps to the shiny silver that caught my eye.
Me: "Oh WOW, you really need this!" "Let's get it, yeah?" Holding the shiny silver up high like prospector's gold. My eyes glowing and giving him that cheesy grin.
Hubby: "No, no, we don't need it. Mine works just fine" As he grabs hold of the cart and starts maneuvering it, and me, back towards the socks. I grab hold of the cart and make a U-turn back to the object of my affection. Arming myself for a full head on debate.
Me: "Oh but you really do need it. You've mentioned before that you like these. You said you couldn't find one. And look! Here it is." As I lift the box into the cart.
Hubby: "Sure I like it but mine works perfectly fine." Trying to lift the box out of the cart.
Me: "No, I'm sure it's broken." Raising my eyebrow and holding the box down in place as I mutter, "Or it will be as soon as I get home."
Hubby: "Fine. Let's get it." Giving in. "But, you don't even DRINK coffee!"
Me: "I know, I'm getting it for YOU. See how much I love you?" Smiling cheesy grin again.
And we laughed about the whole thing on the ride home. He said I get excited about the strangest things. I told him I just love love percolators. I know I don't drink coffee but growing up, my mom had one and I loved the sound and the smell that came from that percolator. As we talked the reason came tumbling out.
"After the long nights I knew things would be calm for the night when I heard him take off his shoes. But once in a while, I could hear angry whispering and I tried staying awake but my eyelids wouldn't cooperate. In the early morning hours before the sun comes up I would jolt awake wondering if she was ok. But through the darkness I could hear a little plop, followed by another and another. The wonderful smell would waft to my bed and tell me she was ok. I could close my eyes and rest up for tonight's adventures." And I gave hubby the cheesy grin again and told him thanks for giving into my whim.
Hubby: "It's a comfort thing for you, so don't thank me."
Me: "I really got it for you."
And I've been dying to try it out but he hasn't been home in a couple days. When he gets home tonight I get to try it out. Because I'm dying to know if it'll have the same "plop, plop" and the same smell. But of course, I'll tell him I brewed him a pot because I missed him. Hee hee....shhhh don't tell.

I wonder too if they still sound the same?
ReplyDeleteI had one years ago, but then fell in love with the taste of drip coffee; Mr. Coffee stole my heart......then Melitta......then......oh what an unfaithful girl I have been!
Let us know if it is the same plop-plop sound! :)
XXOO!!
Anne
I have a percolator and love it. The sound of it going plop, plop, plop, and as it's closer to "done," plipplopplipplopplipplopplipplopplipplop. I haven't used it in a very long time, I'm pulling it out right now just so that I can hear it, that is if I didn't give it away to the goodwill. I hope not. I loved your post, many happy days to you. Take care and go for the plipplop.:)
ReplyDeleteA fine looking coffee pot.
ReplyDeleteThe very best cup of coffee I ever had came from my girlfriend's percolator. Maybe it was the wait... maybe it was the aroma... last time I made coffee in a party size percolator it got rave reviews from the drinkers since I now abstain.
ReplyDeleteit's so pretty....and i'd have bought it for my sweetie, too.....just for the smell of the coffee in the morning :)
ReplyDeletei love this story!!! and i can't wait to hear "part two".....i have wonderful childhood memories of listening to my mom's percolator, too! there's nothing quite like that sound!! :))
ReplyDeletelol
ReplyDeleteYou are funny Elena : )
ReplyDeleteone of the reasons I can't sleep.... it was never just angry whispering at our house... ...it was loud yelling, mostly drunken... and punching... I was up and outta bed... down there and in the middle of it...
ReplyDeletethe smell and sound of coffee brewing on an occasional sober Sunday morning ... I would still creep downstairs ...still sit at the kitchen table with the totally sober (totally different ) Dad we loved.... and wish it wasn't only on an occasional day...