Been feeling a bit out of sorts lately. That fragile state where even I don't know which way my mood will swing. The feeling that I'm not in control when all I want is everything to be stacked in neat little rows. Wanting to know that B follows A and 2 follows 1. Wanting to know what comes next. Wishing a crystal ball would tell me which way to go. That darned restlessness that drives me nuts like a hard to reach itch. That makes me want to leave and not look back. But knowing "it" cannot be outrun and will only follow me. And worse, not understanding where these feelings are coming from. And when I saw some recent works created in a fellow bloggers class, I actually felt envious. Me. Envious. But not in the mean sort of way. It was more like, "oh how beautiful, if only I could...." which led to "who are you kidding..." and finally "just give it up...". And that was the last straw and I landed butt first into the same thing that has invaded my thoughts for years. I just want to be good at something. (Ok, Suz, don't tell me writing cuz I'm not a writer) I want to have value. When I gave up my career I gave up my sense of value. When I gave up making my own money I lost my sense of individuality. I know now these were warped ideas. My value does not lie in work or money. I just need to find it.
My mom invited me to join her and my sister to a senior lunch being held at a restaurant about 40 minutes away from me. My first thought was to take the motorcycle. That would help me decide if I truly wanted to sell her. So I was surprised to find all these thoughts in my head..."the highway is going to be packed" "it's too dangerous" "you'll embarrass your mom". What is it about a blow to your ego that eats away at your self-confidence like a nasty parasite. Luckily there was a teeny tiny voice that said "you survived the Santa Anas and Canada for pete's sake". And with that I jumped on the bike before I could talk myself out of it.
As I jumped onto the highway it felt like an internal battery was being recharged. I ducked and dodged trucks and watched for serial lane changers, maneuvered pot holes and construction, and felt my self-confidence receive a bolt. Once I arrived I told my mom that I was worried she'd see me pull up with the bike at the same time as her bus. I didn't want to embarrass her (she said that to me when I first started riding). She smiled and said she wouldn't be embarrassed. That's all I needed.
Later when I got home and received the mail, I found two perfectly timed gifts. My fellow riding friend Lee sent me a postcard from her latest jaunt. Lee who moved from stay-at-home mom, children's book writer, to construction estimator, collector of motorcycles & scooters (is she on 3 or 4 now?) and travelled to Scotland, Ireland, Bermuda to see the world by motorcycle. She doesn't question. She just does. She lives life. She doesn't need to know what she'll be 'when she grows up'. She knows what she's good at and does it. She's free.
And my new friend, Kim of Queen of Arts Studio, sent me some beautifully hand-painted rocks in a beautifully designed package. And her personal note almost made me cry when I read "Here's to the journey and checking off #26". Fitting then that the first rock I picked out said "Make Your Mark". And it occurred to me that here are two women making their mark. Life doesn't have to be perfectly aligned and my mark doesn't have to be GRAND. The key is to make a mark. Any kind. And if, in the process, I make a tiny impact on somebody that itself would be GRAND.
Although I still feel like I want to be good at something, I remember now that I need to start somewhere. My son recently asked how to choose a career. I answered without thinking "do something you're passionate about". Makes sense. So now I just have to look for what I'm passionate about. Heck, I'll settle for slight interest and see where it leads.
For now. I know one thing. I won't be selling my motorcycle. It gives me the freedom I strongly desire. And it recharges my emotional battery.
And Kim and Lee, thank you. Funny how life has a way of talking to you if you listen.
And if not, it'll throw rocks at you. (Ha ha couldn't resist)
Oh, I know this restlesness so very well myself. I am about a year and a half out from recreating my life slowly after being in a very hard place for about 5 years. I too am listening to that soul rumbling, that need to do more, do better, make a life that "means" something. I keep getting an answer when I am really quiet - "You already are, Kimbo." but the restlessness doesn't believe that quiet time answer.
ReplyDeleteFor me, art time, connection to others in whatever small way I can, and making sure to really love the people I love is helping the restlessness easy. I hope you find your key too. So glad the bike is staying !!!! And so glad to be on the path at the same time as you.
Cheers, Beautiful Lady - Rock On ! ;)
Great post. Thank you. What do you mean survived Canada? Its a great place to ride(said a Canadian) Hugs, Karen
ReplyDeleteYou know, moving from a paying job, no matter how sucky the conditions (sayeth the Queen of Sucky Jobs!) is like a death in the family.
ReplyDeleteIt is a slow process to retreive your identity, your authentic identity, and it took me almost two years to get back to *me*.
And I am very glad you did not sell your bike!
Now just take things as they come and be glad you're not in the corporate world anymore, where nothing is real......except backbiting.
XXOO!!
Anne
Hang onto that freedom, embrace possibility, know you can do whatever you choose to do and for goodness sake, mark off #26 already!!! ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat to hear you're not selling your bike. Was shocked that you might. But then, if another bike presented itself...
ReplyDeleteAlso lunch with Mom, glad she's changed and grown too, although my Ma would worry to death about a motorcycle, it wouldn't embarrass her. But which is easier to say, worry or embarrassment?
i'm glad the bike is staying...and remember, you aren't alone in your feelings....i think as women we are constantly looking for ourselves and what we're passionate about and what we can do to make a difference....
ReplyDeletekim is the biggest sweetheart EVER....my rocks arrived yesterday, too. she honestly is an angel whose wings are the brightest i've ever seen.....
I was just going to give you some wisdom, but Anne beat me to it!
ReplyDelete:0)
Even after all these years, I still feel this way sometimes too. It's a journey, honey. Some days are just harder than others. When someone isn't telling you who you are and what you should do, you have to try to define yourself somehow. I like your friend's attitude of doing what she loves and finding a way to do it in fabulous places. In fact, I think she's my new role model!
I'm so glad you didn't sell your bike.
Hey, I just noticed that #20 on your list is to take a reiki class - I'm hoping to do that, too!!!!
Much love and many hugs,
xoxoxo
Angela
Hay there Baby Cakes....
ReplyDeleteWhen in Big Doubt...
Look out!!! your just stepping back and regaining your footing for a big growth spurt..
(think of our little ones when they were growing how many time did that fall and then one day they were off and ready for the next challenge in their little lives.)
As you shared with all of us there.. transition is not a fast forward motion. though we may not understand it all we are given the gift... that's life and we are to seek, dig, poke,prode around like our elders from long ago and see what we find..sharing all the goodies and the heart ache along the way..then one day we're there and we've forgotten all that junk and we have made friends and gained some extra pounds, wrinkles and a new attitude on life and we become what our youth has been seeking... I'm so happy you didn't sell your baby... that was you right of passage and it is a symbol of a strong women in my eyes...One who does go out and seeks and makes the changes she needs to. Just keep crossing off the things on you list...maybe you are to be doing that this year and sharing how that feels..a good sense of accomplishment is what I say...Ride long and hard, It sounds like your rides are like my walks in the woods...don't question your doubts instead trust a good ride out in the open fresh air...nature always knows best.