Besides the cattle drive, cross country motorcycle tour, the tour of European cemeteries and churches, perhaps an art workshop in Italy, and working with dolphins and sea lions, I think these more 'reachable' dreams would be rather cool. Did you know you could be a lighthouse volunteer and spend summer days living in a lighthouse? Or that you could be trained as a puppeteer and operate a really cool puppet?
Dreaming is good. And I hear that believing in your dreams acts like a fire under your butt which can launch you into great things. But what if you don't have a dream? Or if, like me, you don't really know what those dreams are? Then I suppose you look at everything around you like one big buffet lunch and sample a bit of everything. You approach things with open eyes and heart waiting for a little tug of recognition or a little spark that says 'yep, this just might be dream material."
I've seen people on tv being interviewed about their successes. They speak about knowing when they were young that all they wanted to be was a dancer, singer, artist, etc. etc.. I don't know if I actually envy these people for knowing or admire them greatly for knowing. How did they know? Perhaps the spark of recognition was larger in them when they arrived here. Perhaps mine was snuffed out accidentally when I was tiny? For now, I could dream about finding my dream. Because as much as I am a procrastinator, I am also tenacious once I make my mind up about something. Like an annoying fly I'll flitter and flutter around the object of my attention until I decide that it definitely is something I want to do. Then I strap on the kamikaze gear and it's full force ahead.
So I'm in flutter mode. I'll just mosey along for now. Meanwhile, I wonder if I could find someone to let me operate Animal from the Muppets or Cookie Monster from Sesame Street. Now that I think about it, don't these two seem to capture my personality(ies) very well? Hee,hee.....


Fluttering and acceptance are two things I'm seeing in you post here lady... I know I've been working with my mind set these last few months... and I've really tried to allow myself though it's been a struggle to accept where I am.. that right now this is it then I ask is it that bad that I'm standing in a place that is calm... I don't know for you but I'm sharing that I'm a busy one and need to be doing all the time..you know having something in the pot always cooking.. restlessness but this summer I've decided and with the help of my hormones taking me hostage I've back down a bit and pushed for so much business and just did a easy does it formations..which for me is new, a change and odd..so I'm struggling with it and now I'm see that it's Ok like you in the fluttering state it's Ok and as soon as you accept that its good right now in the present then you open the door to what is next but when you push for it...you end up pushing the door shut before you get a chance to peek in..well..my two crayons worth of cents...
ReplyDeleteNot sure what drew you to interior design, but it may be a good place to flutter back to and consider what you hoped for there. I've always been an artist and the knowing may be just as hard as not knowing because obstacles have often been made intentionally against my dreams. At one time my artist was so strong and easily conquered those obstacles but as each progressively larger intention against my artist I grew very weary. And then, all those with all the answers were there with plans and programs that will not suit what I personally have to battle. Walking a mile in another's moccasins is something many assume they can bypass.
ReplyDeleteDoris, great question. And what drew me to interior design was a boss saying "don't become an artist, instead choose something that let's you create but makes money". Thanks for the comments ladies!
ReplyDeleteThere you go then Elena...your boss squashed your dream by saying "don't become an artist" Never listen to anyone telling you what you should and shouldn't do. I always wanted to be a vet when I was little until my aunty told me it is too much work and I wouldn't succeed. Instead of proving her wrong I proved her right and never became a vet. I used to wonder if I could have done it if she hadn't have said I couldn't! It doesn't bother me now as I love what I do and I don't listen to others anymore when they say the art/craft field is hard to make good money from. I love creating so do it for my pleasure. If I sell stuff along the way great.
ReplyDeleteAnd it doesn't hurt to try lots of things and dream anyway. You'll find the one thing you love above the rest :)
i wish i had answers. i really do. i have been arguing with my own dream monsters of late. not helped in the least by a very close family member, trying to explain to me the difference between "dreams" and "dillusions". boy did that suck.trying to take criticism with a grain of sand is hard to do.especially when masked in support... if youever run across the answers, please share! lol. in the mean time. chin up.
ReplyDeleteplod forward. proving people 'wrong' can be quite satisfying- atleast in this respect.
oh- and if you take the art retreat in Italy.. I. Am . SO. THere!! :o)