"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Secret Love

My friend Lisa posted photos of her boots today and it reminded me just how much I love my boots. I own two pairs of gym shoes, two pairs of slip on shoes, a pair of sandals, a pair of gardening boots, and about 4 pairs of Harley boots. I think I have a pair of heels I had to buy when I got married but they're somewhere in a box hidden in the closet. But I can tell you exactly where all my boots are.

I had a pair of combat boots that I wore all the time when I was in college. I had to keep an eagle eye on them and make sure not to leave them anywhere other than my room. My Mama hated them and whenever she had a chance she would throw them away. I already knew if I couldn't find them to run out to the alley and save them. Three times. The last time...well let's say I never saw them again.

I had to throw away a pair of cowboy boots because I wore out the heel. Twice. Come to think of it, I've been meaning to replace those and now I want some like Lisa's.

But my Harley boots are so special to me. Especially the ones I rode into California and Canada with. I can put them on and remember the rides; and just how much water they actually hold in rainstorms. It rained the whole ride through Canada and I secretly love riding in downpours. I love the feeling of the water dripping down my face and having to use my fingers like mini-wipers on my goggles.

But the last day coming out of Canada was dry. It was smooth sailing until we reached a road resurfacing project. Or better yet, it was loose dirt and gravel. I don't like loose gravel so I clenched my teeth and figured I was about to learn some valuable lessons. I went through slowly and all was good until the construction water truck started hosing down the dirt and it became very wet red mud. There was nowhere else to go so I put my feet down, worked my throttle and "motor-skied" through the mud. Secretly I was having a ball. Until we pulled through onto asphalt and I saw my boots and bike. Red. I don't like my boots or bike being dirty.

Once in Minnesota we stopped at the base of a waterfall and I was able to walk into the water to submerge my boots. I got out, took them off in my typical style of using the toe of one boot to hold the heel down of the other while I pull my foot out. I then walked back in to peek at the rocks. When I walked back toward my boots I thought they looked beautiful. They did such a fine job on the road trip that I couldn't resist taking their picture.




They are such hams aren't they? And this is the pencil sketch I started last year (?) and probably should finish sometime. Ah...thanks for the reminders Lisa. Can't wait to ride again.

5 comments:

  1. OMG!!! That drawing of the boots is BEAUTIFUL!!!
    I am such a stinker with my boots; DH made me buy them to wear when I use sharp implements, but Harley boots are made so well I hate getting them dirty. Have them in my closet with my boots from Hot Topic with the skull buckles! :D
    And I am an utter shoe-whore.....love heels....would not begin to comment on how many pair, saved over the years.
    You are so much wiser and more practical!!!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Elena..I am a boot girl too..I love taking photos of mine too..why not..they are beautiful right? great shot..and great sketch! Lovely story and full of secret fun..the best kind!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool boots. I can see why you love them, they are loverly. My favorite boots are my Muck boots because I am so often mucking about in the mud here, I wear them about 9 months of the year. I used to have cheap rubber knee high boots until I saw these, it was love at first sight.J
    Have you seen the show Long Way Round? It is the documentary of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman as they set out on their BMW bikes to travel round the world. Their passage through Mongolia was fascinating, talk about mud. I rented it from Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like mudd. Until it's slogging on my shoes and slowing me down. I love the drawing. Hadn't noticed the boots in either picture at first glance. Look like part of the landscape. Lovely drawing. Could be finished as is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hiking boots, even though I don't hike. I do have a pair. I just love them. I also love my holy Converse. When they are ready for the trash, I'm not throwing them away. I'm filling them with soil and planting a small cactus plant in each one. I love that drawing of the trees with your shoes. Awesome. Have a great Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!