"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Thursday, February 25, 2010

False Perceptions - Not Allowed

I've come to the conclusion that false perceptions can be dangerous. They lead to hatreds or at a minimum have the power to keep you confined to your current situation. And if left intact, they either grow and fester or become such a part of your thoughts you don't know any other way to think. For instance, I grew up thinking that "white people" weren't good. A "white" teen killed my brother in a racially motivated shooting. So my head figured "they" were all bad and hated all of "us".

My other false perception was that anyone who was better off than "us" weren't good because they considered us trash. That started from listening to the other kids talk. So thankfully in college I walked into a situation where I was in an "all white well-to-do" roomful of classmates. I cringed. And I graduated without these perceptions and a bonding with my fellow classmates. Granted it caused some fights with the kids back in the neighborhood who said I sold out but I'd like to think the Great Spirit and my brother decided to put a stop to the unhealthy thinking.

And I recently thought about this when I went back to the old neighborhood and heard a friend describe me to her boyfriend. "This is Elena, the biker who married the white boy" To which I responded, he's white? I thought he was more like shades of beige, tan with hints of rose madder and brown. Smirk.

And this week I had a chance to confront another false perception. The one about "I'm not meant to have physical friends". And just as I was trying to find ways to be comfortable with this perception, the heavens sent some little things that made me smile (and feel all warm and giddy...yeah yeah I'm pathetic).

  • I have a tentative outing to the Art Institute w/ a blogger friend who reached out to me
  • I have an art workshop outing and girls weekend planned w/ a blogger friend
  • I have a lunch date w/ a woman from the town's club today
And with each invitation I struggled with the urge to say "no no that's okay" and then it ocurred to me that I need to Trust that this situation is presenting itself to contribute to my growth.

How's that for a new thought process?

And to Beth and Lisa

Thank you

(I apologize if any of this sounded racist - I'm not. But can see I was in danger of heading that way)

3 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased with your new perceptions. I was culture shocked when moving to my rural area. I came from a wealthy community where all races (with money) were welcome. Off to all white community where I strove to educate the children of the school district on equality, especially woman as equal. Classroom teachers loved me! Kudos on those outings, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perceptions....they can fog our brains sometimes cant' they...

    but for now all I care about is that we are going to meet and play and create and art it up and laugh and eat and.....oh I can't wait !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Elena, I don't know what to say at this point, other then how sorry I am for your tragic loss. I look forward to our trip to see some art together. If there is room to join in the creating with you & Beth...mmmm I'd love to join in.

    We'll talk soon I'm sure


    Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!