I pulled out an old pencil sketch I started working on last year. I seem to have lost the Indian portrait I was using as reference from an online photograph. I don't draw people so I was trying this out only because I'm intrigued by pencil on grey paper. I worked on it a bit today and will keep at it. I'm not sure why except that I'm really intrigued by it. My grandma was part Indian...perhaps that's it. Who knows...I'm drawn to it. And I really should just start it over but it's my first "human". And sure he looks dirtier than he does wrinkly but I gotta start somewhere, right? Wow, look at me trying to encourage myself!
See what happens when you deprive yourself of reading? You make friends with yourself. (Hee, hee)
And the little one was inspired by an idea Miki had on her Creative Journey blog using playing cards as small practice pieces. I decided to try painting on flashcards since they're a bit bigger. I wasn't really thinking when I made this piece and when I finished I thought...hmmm...pretty primitive looking. Kinda like that kindergarten art again. And I quickly responded to myself...nope...when you pull out this piece it's a reminder that you need to ground yourself. During a hypnotherapy session one time they started by telling me to envision roots extending from my feet through the ground to the earth's core. And I felt so peaceful. I felt grounded. And since I seem to make it a habit to argue with myself...I apparently need to be grounded sometimes.By the way, thanks for sticking around while I was on my deprivation week.
I'm back now and will update you on how that went.
Your abilities for drawing are great and I love the child side too in your small exercise piece... reconnection again the cycles we need to keep moving forward.. I'm teaching my class now about the ugly stages our art goes through...we can learn so much..and it's really about learning to make choices and with art we have so many we can personally make that it might be the fear we put upon ourselves...hmmm need to reread this for myself.. loving you blog lady..glad you keep her going..
ReplyDeleteYour drawing and painting are lovely! Don't be so hard on yourself.
ReplyDelete:0)
Try looking at some examples of outsider, raw or brut art, and you'll see there are countless styles. Many of the best are not too refined. Your style is your very own, and that makes it special.
xo
whaaaat ?........that drawing is fantastic and those creative juices are flowing.....you rock !
ReplyDeleteI love the flash card idea...bigger space....since I did the playing cards a few years ago and that was tricky....
Very nice pieces. Both draw the viewer in for a closer look. Tai Chi also teaches you to draw up energy from the earth and your legs then propel all movement.
ReplyDeletei'm glad you pulled this drawing out again.....it's really fabulous! :))
ReplyDeleteI need to know where in Ill you are? and can't figure out where your email is.
ReplyDeleteThese are both beautiful! Very different from each other, but each one perfect!! That drawing is exquisite!! And I love the idea of painting on playing cards... Hugs, Silke
ReplyDeleteYes, I missed your posting here this past week but it seemed to help you get more in tune with yourself. I love your two creative pieces here. I have always believed we have so many selves inside of us waiting to come out. I see that in your two different pieces here. They are each special in their own way.
ReplyDeleteI love primitve art, your second piece reminds me of that. It feels full of passionate fire to me. Grounded to earth yet the branches are reaching to the higher spiritual planes. Keep up your portrait pieces. I find the smudginess of the top piece rather enchanting. And it sounds like you have much personal connection to it. I remember seeing your drawing of the horses dancing in the air and was blown away. You is good, my friend.
Stay true to your heart, whether grounded or head reaching to the heavens, all good!!!
Love to read about you "encouraging yourself"! Your Indian is great! And what a great idea Miki has with the smaller ones on cards. Yours is beautiful. So warm and happy!
ReplyDelete...and let every day be a creative day like this one was. Love seeing what you are doing!
ReplyDelete