The yard felt different this weekend
"alive"
Not in the growth sense
But a knowing
Is that even possible?
As we planted four new trees
It felt like the garden watched
Curious of the newcomers
And I became a klutz
Taking a backwards dive off the truck
And landing perfectly nestled in the middle of a bush
Falling into a hole
Tripping over a wood pile
And with my son's first sleep over
I joined the night time game of hide-n-seek
Not letting on that the darkness behind the trees
Really creeps me out
And with chills racing up my back I hid within that darkness
Praying that the kids find me quick
And hearing the soft thumps of trotting footsteps
in the soft ground behind me
I raced out onto the lawn laughing
only to run straight into the boys
relieved that they had found me
until my son asked why I had come out of hiding
and then I realized
I was being chased by a peacock
(I think)
(I hope)
(I think)
(I hope)
I am such a city kid
~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~
I say peacock because the next morning when hubby went to check on the newly planted trees, a peacock popped out from beneath one and scared the *#/! out of him
Oh, that made me laugh! I have a similar story of a pheasant nearly making me pass out with shock one year... I'm excited you are planting trees - doesn't that feel good? Much love, Silke
ReplyDeletea peacock ?......no way !
ReplyDeletei want a peacock !!!
could it have been a pheasant ?
and are you okay after that fall ?.....i'm so glad your son was having a sleepover.....those are so special at his age !
and now i know why my hills at the cottage scared you.....you're a city kid:)
Wow..you are a fabulous charmer of words and a great story teller...awesome post!! Your magic comes to life when you write..beautiful! And oh my..a peacock...super cool!
ReplyDeleteKiki~
I am amazed that a peacock had been part of the game! I would have thought I died and went to heaven had I seen a peacock. Do look the bird up, it is everlasting life, among other things.
ReplyDeleteA peacock?!?! How funny!
ReplyDeleteMy son was chased through the neighborhood by a wild turkey a few years ago.
:0)
I'm waiting for my husband to get off his butt, so we can plant a few trees, too. (I've learned to be very, very patient, thanks to him. . .)
I hope you're having a terrific week!
Hugs and love,
xoxoxo
Angela
Planting in the yard is so great! I bet your old trees are loving the new ones!
ReplyDeleteI'm scared of the dark too.
ReplyDeleteAnd just a quick note on your previous post, you are more than enough :)