"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Life is up to You

Rule # 8 - "What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you." from If Life is a Game, These are the Rules by Cherie Carter-Scott

You mean it's not up to my parents, or teachers, or siblings or friends? Or God-forbid my crazy ego? The one who likes to replay images of doom and gloom throughout my head like a bad slide show? ME. I am in charge of my life. Wow. That's a scary proposition. What to do? What if I screw up? There! See?! Ego's doom and gloom.

I can't screw up.
I'd like to think I was built with self-balancing mechanisms. Like those old weeble wobble toys that looked like little egg shaped people. They (I) come pretty close to tipping over just to make some funny twists and bounce right back up again. But they (I) don't fall down permanently. Although it sure feels that way sometimes. But I'm realizing that if my internal self-balancing mechanism gets stuck all I need to do to get it going again is think the opposite of my current train of thought. As in "I'm too old to do...." becomes "I'm more experienced and look at what I can do...."


So thank you everyone for your kind thoughts on Brian's passing. I know it's a part of nature to pass on to bigger and better. But I'm the one who doesn't like change, remember? But the lesson I've learned is not to wait. Not to be afraid or set self-imposed limitations. Because those are just created by ego who really only has a small view of the overall picture. Because we were born without limits. And we can do anything. Because we have all the tools and self-balancing mechanisms. We can't fail. Only learn and grow.

I've warned hubby that when I see him with a cigarette not to be surprised when I pull it out of his mouth. Not to be surprised to find his box of cigarettes missing. And if he persists not to be surprised to get a face full of water shot by the water gun in hopes of putting it out.
And if he's still stubborn, to count on a punch in the eye.

~ ~ ~ ~
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all. Helen Keller

So for GOODNESS' sake go for the adventure!!!

6 comments:

  1. i have a huge super soaker you can borrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it! I lost my father to complications of COPD aggrevated by a life of smoking. I was the one who had to make the decision to take him off life support. You tell your husband is that what he wants you or your childern to have to do?
    DH's father also succumbed in the same manner, but with lung cancer too. Watching someone's lungs being suctioned is enough to make anyone quit cold turkey.
    Life is there just waiting for us to pick it!

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quit smoking 2 years ago this July after smoking for 20 years. If I can do it, it CAN be done.
    Here's to breaking through th elimits we have placed on ourselves ! Cheers, Adventurous One !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. I quit smoking eleven years ago. After many failed attempts. I gave it up along with my ex. The day he moved out, I quit. A little short term help from the patch, but a big boost of how much stronger I would get each day without them. Besides, I now had hope for a better future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and remember those childhood punching bags? The air filled dummies with weights in the bottom? I seem to remember a bear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, sometimes we need those shaker-uppers in life to make changes within ourselves. I saw that article on the couple who were hoarders and got injured by their own mess and it got my attention. I am messy and need to be aware of consequences. Life has messages everywhere for us. I have a water hose with a long extension that might reach your house.
    Love how you are reframing your words into more positive convictions. Awareness, awareness....
    Thank God I never ever picked up a cigarette, except a candy one once in a while!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!