"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Friday, May 21, 2010

What's in a thought...

Driving to school yesterday I was stuck behind a mom who couldn't have been going more that 15 mph. At each turn she slowed down even more and I was getting frustrated. She obviously has nothing better to do, I thought. By the time we pulled up to school I was gritting my teeth and felt myself becoming a sourpuss. Then I noticed the sticker on her rear window that indicated there was a soldier in her family.

I turned to my son, smiled and said. Well now. Maybe her husband was the driver in the family and he was deployed. This woman was forced to learn to drive to keep the family functioning. Maybe she's still getting used to the car. And I didn't feel like a sourpuss anymore. I felt compassion.

The woman was still driving like a turtle. So what changed? Basically my thought process, my perception. So isn't it like that with everything? I make a judgement and wham!, my emotions follow. So maybe this weekend I could test this theory to see if this works. Let me start with the following:

I am not an artist could become I am a creative
I am too chunky could become I am padded for protection against falls (hee,hee)

Hmmm, this could be amusing. I'll start with these for now.
~ ~ ~ ~
I must apologize for not commenting on your blogs lately. I've been working in the garden and moving all the furniture to the hard-floored rooms. The carpet is being cleaned today and the house now looks like we're just moving in. So my computer is disassembled and sitting in the studio. I hope to be back on schedule by Monday. In the interim, have a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

  1. it's so easy to judge quickly....i find myself doing it quietly in my own mind often, only to be reminded that i don't know....i can't judge...i can't assume.....

    happy friday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we need to walk a mile in their moccasins. But 15 miles an hour? How unnerving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Driving is my worst time for foul behaviour. I fume, I swear....I just KNOW that slow car is waiting to pull out in front of ME.
    then I think about how I drove when I first got back in the car after the hip operation and suddenly things look quite different. *I* was the slow car, uncertain if I could slam on the brakes if I had to.......
    Perspective is everything, and I am having one of those mornings that mine needs changing.
    Quickly.
    Like pulling into a Quik-Lube to get the car oil changed! :D

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thought provoking post. I like to think I am pretty empathetic, I'm always making excuses for other peoples bad behavior. One never knows what is going on in some strangers life to make them act the way they do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, food for thought. See you when you get back. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!