Here's how the conversation went as we drove home from school
Me: Don't you wish we came prepackaged with a hint about our life's purpose?
Son: Well, we can't because God would send them as riddles and some people aren't good at solving them
Me: Well, maybe there's a Riddles for Dummies...
In the interim, there's a little book by Cherie Carter-Scott called If Life is a Game, These are the Rules.
1. You will receive a body
2. You will be presented with lessons
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons
4. A lesson is repeated until learned
5. Learning does not end
6. "There" is no better than "here"
7. Others are only mirrors of you
8. What you make of your life is up to you
9. All your answers lie inside of you
10. You will forget all of this at birth
~ ~ ~
And the little intermission was caused by a sidetrack off my path. Now sitting in the ditch for a bit to take a breather. Actually what comes to mind are the mice experiments where two mice are set in a maze to find the cheese. Mouse A moves effortlessly through the maze making quick detours when confronted with an obstacle. Mouse B makes it to the first obstacle and stays there. Choosing instead to stand on his hind legs to see if he can find a shortcut over the obstacle and eventually just sits there occasionally turning in circles. And I wonder why he doesn't just backtrack and take a new route.Well, I'm the one going in circles. Even wishing for that shortcut in form of a hint from God that I'm heading in the right direction. I'm 42 and too old to be trying to figure out what I want to be "when I grow up" in this second half of life. Now that I'm 'career-less' I'm using my internal barometer to 'feel' my way through what may be right or wrong on my path. Although creating makes me happy, I finally think I have figured out why I will not call myself an artist. Artists will do anything to create; to fulfill that yearning to give birth to the ideas in their head. Me? I'm great at planting the little seeds in my head, nurturing them until they break ground, and then walking away to let them die. I lack the desire. I'm not sure why yet. But isn't this enough of an indication that perhaps it's not my path; no matter how enjoyable?
And then there's the woman's club. Which after a year I still don't enjoy. And I volunteer, grudgingly go to the meetings, and even attended one of the social events the other evening. And with all the people there, I was still bored and felt out of my element. I don't care for that kind of stuff; massages, pedicures, photos with feathery boas.... And I wonder what my problem is. They are nice women; doing great things for the community. But I hate it. I must have a screw loose. And yet I stay. Wondering if there's a lesson for me here. Knowing that if it were a group of artists or bikers doing the same thing I would have more fun. Why? Where's the sense in that?
And I know enough now that everything presented in life is a lesson. No matter how painful at the time, each thing I've experienced has served as a stepping stone to something else. But what about now? I have no clue where to go from here. And I feel as if I'm wasting time. But could this in itself be a lesson? Patience? Or perhaps I need to get off my butt and detour a bit to find the right path.
So whataya say God, send me the riddle.
I found the book "Brain Games for Dummies"
or atleast send a map
or AAA

Love it! I'm always asking for signs but what I think I really need is special glasses to allow me to see the signs that are already surrounding me. Or maybe a spirit guide... or shrink... or... ;)
ReplyDeleteAs far as the Women's Group? Have done things w/friends who are in our local Women's Group and it's so not for me either. Nothing against any of the women there. They were all friendly and welcoming and generous.
Maybe your lesson is to accept it and be okay with it? Form a group or find a group that does the things you want to do with people you are comfortable with.
your art is writing
ReplyDeletego there
you already know where you're going, just by knowing that everything is a lesson....everything is a stepping stone.....
ReplyDeleteand those women's club....like i told you, been there-done that and for a year now, that hasn't fit me either.
i think the best part of growing older is having the ability to figure this all out....what we need, what we can say no to, who we want to be with, what isn't a waste of our time, what fills our souls.....
so you're not lost.....you're on your path, making choices as you go along...keep your shoulders back, chin up :)
You are so inspiring! I am just delighted to have found your blog, so many beautiful photos and writings here. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm excited to check out Cherie Carter-Scott's book. And I can't wait to stop back again and read more of your lovely blog :)
ReplyDeletebest wishes,
juliette
Boy! This is one of those times when I feel you and I are soooooo alike. Except I am 54 and still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up!! And I know people even older who say the same thing!! So, I think you are way ahead of the game--not behind!! And I don't do the mani and pedi route and don't go for all that typical female stuff! I am constantly aware of the fact that I am soooo comfortable with artist friends and the people in my artist's way group, even tho they are not all artist's but when I get together with neighbor ladies once a month there is something missing---I just don't connect the same way. And I really do like them so it's kinds strange. I admire you for giving the woman's club a try---I know I wouldn't like it either!!
ReplyDeleteSorry if this is all a little disjointed--I'm distracted by trying to type on my son's laptop. The good news is my computer might be fixable!! So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So glad you're still blogging---I was worried when I saw "Intermission"!!!
Great post, you are so eloquent! It is very hard to figure out, but I think you are doing exactly what you need to be doing - being honest with yourself on your journey!!
ReplyDeleteHugs sweetie :-)
xoxo
Oh we are all were we are to be even if we wander around like a cha-no-nee a wonderer of the woods. I read your post this morning and I can't help but think about the connection... I'm feeling a bit lost as of the class session are not comeing to an end soon and the big summer fairs are creeping up and thought it puts me in the lime light I question that path. I feel that I can't find my way as of like last year I was the captin of my ship and now I'm undesive one and sit and feel the funciton isn't there or the drive and I question all that I've been doing...I feel like a little sassy girl...inside I say I don't want that or to do that any more it doesnt' make me feel good. I'm feeling really funky and unsure of things so right now I'm aware of this inside stirring and asking for guidance. I know when I start with this thinking I could had for trouble lands so I ask the Great Spirit to take this thoughts and feelings and help me work through them and guide me. Acceptance that I'm here present and being with questions and no answers is a path right now and more will be revealed to me if I trust and keep an HOW in to action...Honest, Open and willing soul to do the best that I can with what I got. I also always feel better when I do the writing and whine it out then say Great spirti here you go...guide me something always happens..
ReplyDeleteI grateful for coming to you post every day and taking a peek at where your are and always find a connection...us women aren't to far apart we are closer then we know. So I'm not the writer you are so forgive me if things are abit choppy.
hugs lady
~v~Laura
did you hear ms crane....great writing
ReplyDeleteSo you don't want to be an artist? The important thing is that you are searching. Feather boas? Some classmates had a hotel get together for pedicures, where does that luxurious free time come from? Just savor the days. The day will come quickly that your son will be off on his own. Your first and most important job is him. But keep hanging with us as you drive inspiration! Like minds need each other!
ReplyDeleteI understand and have total empathy with you and your situation. The only thing I'm sure of is that "NOW" is all we have. So we should make the most of it. I know it's hard and frustrating. Your son needs you now, and you are there for him. You are trying new things now, and you are learning more and more about yourself every day. It's a gift to have that opportunity. Maybe that's one of life's lessons.
ReplyDeleteOften, I think that our lives are too easy, and that's why we have all this time to think and worry and become unhappy. Maybe if our lives were simpler and we had fewer choices, we'd be happier. If we had to struggle for survival, we wouldn't have time to think about if we were happy with this or that part of our lives. Maybe our well-being alone should be a reason for happiness.
I don't know. Every question brings up more questions.
All I know is - life is a process. And very day provides a chance for a new beginning. You need to find your own happiness and your own purpose, and all you need is already inside of you. I know you'll find your way. Do what you enjoy, and the rest will fall into place eventually.
Love and hugs, my friend.
xoxoxo
Angela