"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

How do you create?

I'm impressed by the creations I see on blogs I visit. Many churning out piece after piece as they try to keep up with their creative flows. I'm not an artist. I just flow along occasionally paddling, sinking or getting caught in little whirlpools of water between jagged rocks. So I wonder how it's done.
Does the artist control the creation or does the creation control the artist? 
Or neither? 
Or perhaps both?

You see, I don't believe I create my creations. I wake up and there may be a pressing desire to go to the studio and pick up a canvas. I feel as if I zone out and just start making something. As soon as my head gets into the process, I stop. And I can't pick up again until I either dream about the next step or the desire pushes me to show up again. I feel used. Like my brain doesn't have the capability to create so something uses my hands instead. Hmmm makes no sense does it.

And so it was a few weeks ago when April asked us to choose a quote as a basis for a collage. I thought of a few and went to bed. In my dream state I remember hearing this statement and knew that it was what I had to base my collage on. I also "saw" what it should look like. Unfortunately, I'm now playing the waiting game to see where this piece is going. Looking at it I am fascinated by what's been included within. And while it was coming together all I kept hearing was "see how far you've come?"


And with that first step she discovered her abilities

So here's the in progress piece. I wish I could tell you where it's going from here. But the hell if I know. I'm just swimming in circles.

7 comments:

  1. I think the reason some create everyday is simply because they have worked at making it a *habit*. Yes, the ideas drive you forward, but still, you have to have the will to deal with them. The longer you work with art, the more ideas come, the more they want out.....endless cycle.
    Even on days when I am not actively working on art in the studio I try and do something constructive. Sometimes it's organizing and cleaning. Sometimes it's gessoing canvas I will use later, and sometimes, it is just hanging out in an area where I am sure something creative is lingering.
    Giving yourself more time to acclimate to how you work will help, as will being in the area where you work as much as possible.
    But at the end of all this remember:
    Some people just work incredibly quick and crank out stuff like a machine.
    We all differ. It's okay.

    XXOO!!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've got your back to something you love in that collage.....your bike. so there must be a message in there somewhere....somehow....that will make sense one of these days.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a very powerful piece of artwork... I'm seeing motion and action and a woman taking steps to create the change she needs. letting go of the old stuff that she doesn't need anymore..and walking into the areas of peace and sanity... Great work, and I can see the way you create that its more for the needs of the soul and it brings you great understand...why not let it be for that. it's just beautiful..
    Bless your journey lady....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this piece of work. You did great and to me it already looks finished. It looks like "she" the woman is headed out to accomplish. She has finally found herself. The colors are really awesome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super-Beautiful piece Elena! Have fun swimming in circles....all is divine!
    Enjoy your adventure!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  6. i can totally relate to what you're saying! i "see" artwork in my head all the time! now if i could only find the time to do it all..... :))

    i LOVE the piece you're working on.....those colors are delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!