"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Monday, February 7, 2011

Birth-day

After 8 years of trying
Prayers, doctors, meds
Trying to make deals with God
We gave up 

And then...poof he was there
A tiny seedling nestled deep inside

They said it was near-impossible
And yet there he was

And I wonder how it is
He has arrived at this age
With me as a mom
My little guy who never had time for silliness
Who would rather be with adults than kids
The one with the serious face
And rare, but oh-so-glorious, smile

The one who at 2 staged car accidents with his Hot Wheels
and played sad classical music as a backdrop
The one who at 4 walked around with medical photos
Explaining how the docs fixed his Mama

He's smart, artistic and musical
He's hilarious, sarcastic and kind
And he doubts his abilities
Just like his Mama

And he's 13 today
I feel as if I just walked him to the edge of the frontier
And am setting him loose
I want to tie a rope around his ankle
And pull him back from lurking dangers
From the pitfalls and sharp edges
From heartaches and worries and doubts

And yet I know 
his path is not my path to walk
And I know that those perceived dangers
are but mere pebbles along that path
that beauty and adventure await him
and it's all his to experience

But you'd better believe
I'll be on the sidelines 
Just in case he needs to be pulled up by the bootstraps

Because as exciting as it is that my baby is 13 today
I'm scared as all hell
(ha! can you imagine when he turns 16, 18, 21???)

12 comments:

  1. happiness, joy, and laughter to your special 13-year old guy!! celebrate big!! happy birthday! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. My "baby" will be 27 this year, and it NEVER stops being scary. What a sweet post without being sappy. Although sappy is okay too, when it comes to our young'uns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like an Old Soul. Happy birthday, teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lucky mom.
    Very lucky son.
    Nuff said!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just remember...Kids are forever. Happy to birthday to the teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very Happy Birthday to your now official (dare I say?) teenager!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i decided after 10, every age was scary.

    happy birthday to your sweet little boy who is so loved by his mom !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday to the lucky man..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I can imagine...it gets even better, Elena.
    He will make you so proud your heart will heart...my Leo is almost 21 and he moved out almost 2 years ago...just 3 blocks away thank God(dess).
    Happy Birthday to you both!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are and always will be so prescious, yet we cannot treat them that way as you say Elena. It is so hard standing back, yet we stand back with love. He sounds like a very special boy and this is his start of being a teenager. Is he taller than you and if so has he started patting his Mom on the head yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very happy birthday to him! 21 is a good birthday, from all sides. When he's free and comes anyway...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!