I don't like days like today.
Where the skies are gray
the remaining pockets of snow are more black than white
And there's mud and debris everywhere I look
The dogs stink and are covered with mud
Everything looks dead and ugly
Days like today play with my head
Thawing the little naggy things
That I've tried to push away
And tend to pop up on these days
Like the dry grasses peeking through the mud
I think of...
the girl at work who gave the guy a lapdance during a Christmas party
And then claimed sexual harassment the next day
the gangbangers who threw molotov cocktails through my Mama's windows
And the cop who said 'there's nothing we can do'
the school bullies who can do anything they want
because teachers are too afraid of backlashing
the unfairness
Why is it that the bad are rewarded
And that 'they'll get theirs' never really applies
It makes me want to run and hide
From an ugly world
And then I close my eyes
Reminding myself to think in the new way
I open my eyes and look outside
Sure, it's ugly
But like the ugly phase in art or construction
It's a platform to something better
I can almost sense the stirrings beneath the ground
As the plants hit the snooze button on their internal alarms
Above the gray clouds I know the sun shines
And will soon warm my face as I look up and beyond
The ugliness
Because there really are times that there's nothing I can do
And that's when I need to Trust the most
that the good does outweigh the bad
And that for all the ugly people
There are those whose souls warm the planet and bring forth beauty
It is the same here....grey, dirty snow leftovers.
ReplyDeleteBut to brighten YOUR day, my kitchen faucet exploded this morning, and I had a flood that I am sure would have floated Noah's Ark!
So I bought a new faucet I don't like and am waiting for a plumber to call back......
Wanna come with tools and have some plumbing fun???? :-D
XXOO~~♥
Anne
You're right! Attitude does all come down to Trust, ultimately. Oh, and nothing stinks worse than a stinky dog.
ReplyDeletego peeking around your beautiful garden...I'll bet you'll find life pushing, struggling to rise above the mud
ReplyDeleteThey surrendered to autumn and winter
but soon they will surrender to Spring and Summer
Early this morning there was sunchine and blue sky..but hey where did it go so fast?
I'm going out to lunch with a writer friend
nothing like warm conversation and a few laughs
to brighten the day
Go in the garden and look
Hi Elena..wonderful tansformative thinking..shine on!!Wishing you a fabulous wkd upcoming.thanks for always sharing your heart and spirit..and inner magic....and of course your wonderful creative writing..you are very talented!
ReplyDeletehugs
Kiki
sometimes it takes all our energy to see past the ugly, but it's really worth it when we do ;]
ReplyDeleteI won't even tell you how gorgeous it is here today... Your writing is simply beautiful - and inspiring!! Hope you are doing well, dear friend!! Love, Silke
ReplyDeleteGreat and true post Elena, very well written.
ReplyDeleteit is gross out !
ReplyDeletetuesday was so much prettier....but hey, warm is warm and i'll take it :)
It's so easy to go gray this time of year, much easier than spotting shooting stars and morning sunrises, well maybe not easier than sunrises...
ReplyDelete