Gloria had a picture of a molcajete on her blog today.
The hand held grinder made of basalt
And it's funny how many childhood memories flooded back just looking at that picture
I could 'see' the colors of the red chiles being ground under the tejolote
And 'feel' the scratchiness in my throat
How my eyes watered when I stood too close as the chile released its aroma
I could 'hear' the grinding of stone against stone
My Dad saying chile wasn't chile unless it was made in the molcajete
The clack clack clack as I watched my Mama expertly flick her wrist
The clack clack clack as I watched my Mama expertly flick her wrist
Reminding me never to grind anything other than chile
because the molcajete retains the flavors no matter how much it's cleaned
~And I smiled~
Then my brow wrinkled and my smile faded
And I remembered how that molcajete was often the only thing
that didn't break during those dreaded evenings
where everything on the table would get caught up in the frenzy of drunken disturbance
How it would be the only one who survived intact
Picking it up off the floor, feeling its strength
As if to say
I refuse to be broken
And I thought
I am like a molcajete
My past and present ground within the pores seasoning my present and future
My life is not linear
Everything that has happened, is happening and will happen
all ingredients mixed and ground to form me
I'm not a plastic molcajete as I've seen in the store
Or the cheap concrete knockoff
I am the porous basalt
experiencing life
and I'm strong
molcajete and tejolote
photo from Wikipedia
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Totally unexpected post
Thanks Gloria for the memory
Do you see why I don't cook?
Too many stories....way too distracted
tee hee

love this!you sure tell a good story, Elena. Let someone else cook! ;)
ReplyDeleteExcellent story Elena. I loved it and great this tells me you are a very strong person. Aren't memories just wonderful.I think of my Dad when I use mine and I can still smell the scent of garlic on it. I always say, "Hey Dad, Im using your molcajete." I hope you went and entered the giveaway. It's a great one. I entered and then decided against it because I was being greedy. Tee hee. I already have 2. Have a wonderful day.
ReplyDeleteRock on Elena! Now can we call you a Spice Girl? :) And if is so which one? :)
ReplyDeleteShe's *Flamin' Spice*~~~and she could burn up the others in a FLASH! (which is a pretty good idea....)
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
XXOO~~♥
Anne
Great post!
ReplyDeleteAho, cousin!
ReplyDeleteThis is a very uplifting post for me. thanks!
ReplyDeleteI honestly swear how much I love the way you write! Are you tired of me telling you how creative you are? And, you are right, I AM a molcajete and proud to be. Will you be the first to do reiki on me?? Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteso glad to have found your blog. I found you though Debra She Who Seeks. Your post was a delightful slice of life
ReplyDeleteJohnina :^A