"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

She listens to what?

When I was working and sitting in traffic
I'd become bored with the repetitive songs on the radio 
One day I found myself intrigued by a pastor on AM radio
Now that statement alone would have my old friends snickering
But looking back at it now I realize it's one of the things
that jump-started my spiritual quest

Nowadays I enjoy listening to all types of religious radio shows
As one would peruse a school book, highlighter in hand
Although I argue back most of the time with what I consider nonsense
I am also intrigued by some of the thought processes
Which lead me to research more in search of the underlying message
Hidden beneath the fluff and frills and doom and gloom
And thrills me to no end when I find it crossing various religions

Now don't get me wrong
I'm by no means a holy roller
I don't even know what it is that intrigues me, this search for truth
But I do know what sets me off
Like a match on dry wood

The callers
Those that call in with the desperation in their voice
The ones you know picked up and hung up that phone 1000x
before gathering the courage to call in for help
Only to be told, 'read this verse'
My problem with that is, reading a verse doesn't always help
It's like giving a depressed person a pamphlet on depression and saying 
'here read this' and you'll be fine
the proverbial pat on the head

It's the asinine crap some of these people talk about
Yesterday I heard "God is angry at most of you everyday..."
Today I heard "It's a sin not to take care of your body, the holy temple..." 
Now, that didn't bother me too much until a woman called crying
asking if God would ever forgive her because she's overweight. 
She didn't know what to do and didn't feel worthy to live
because God would never forgive her.
They told her to read a verse. 
I wanted to call in and shout. 
I didn't have the number. 

And all day I've thought about that woman. 
I wanted to talk to her. Share with her what I've learned. 
Share with her that the God they're talking about isn't what I've been finding.
I mean couldn't they hear her pain?

But I can't
So I've decided they let any idiot on the radio.
And I can only hope those callers wake up
Maybe I should try to get on one of those stations too. 
Or atleast get the phone number and call in with my take.

5 comments:

  1. It gets my blood boiling too Elena. The written word is no substitute for a warm, caring person who can listen without being judgemental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Miss D.J. ! I am listening to you right now and man, do I love what I hear !
    Like a wise woman I am beginning to know always says "Love is the answer to every question!" Amen !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I am soooo with you; except I cannot listen or watch the shows because for the most part, it is *performance religion* and has nothing to do with real, heartfelt spirituality and true religion.
    And I feel for the people who call in and need guidance, and are so blatantly mislead.
    Somehow, spirituality became entertainment, love of others became *make a donation*.......
    I am a cynic I suppose on this, but then, I have seen where a lot of these people on the shows end up---in court, in trouble. I am not judging. I just think at some point being in the huge spotlight distorts even the best meaning soul.
    And maybe THAT is evil....when we lose sight of the real heart of love and only see adulation and personal gain.

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh it's not just the radio, they have idiots stirring up pain and hatred on TV too. I won't even repeat what one idiot counselor said to me at an intake... if he was my counselor, I would've committed suicide by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has always amazed me that we teach that God is bigger and better and greater and more loving than we can imagine, and then we define Him as having all of our most negative and petty characteristics. Characteristics that most of us are ashamed of having! In my opinion, if I-- who am only a very ordinary mortal -- can feel sympathy and forgiveness and love for someone, then God must feel it in overwhelming amounts. Because He is, by definition, better and more loving than I.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!