"Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."~Brian Andreas

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Anger is not always bad

Shortly after waking I received a call that my Mama was in the hospital
She had fallen on the stairs
and dislocated her ankle and broke the tibia and fibula
my sisters had been with her in the emergency room
so I went to relieve them for the next six hours

Since my poor Mama was knocked out in a morphine-induced sleep
I had alot of time to think
And I thought back to my anger post and the great comments
I was intrigued by the thought that anger could be caused by fear
And I wondered
Was I afraid of that neighbor?
Was I afraid at other times when I've experienced anger?
And the really interesting thing was the answer
No
My anger is usually fueled by injustice

Basically, I'm noticing that there are victims and there are bullies
(and a whole slew of in-betweeners)
The bullies thrive on getting their way by intimidation
I'm not going to discuss the victims at this point
The bullies are never wrong
The bullies will use any means to get what they want
Some obvious and some not so obvious
They claim political correctness, sexual harassment, threaten legal action
They whine, lie, are master manipulators
It's the wife who uses tears to get what she wants, and smirks when she does
The managers who find a scapegoat to divert attention from themselves
The adult temper tantrums
They point fingers at anyone but themselves
because of course, it's everyone else's fault
because they can do no wrong

I see so many people willing to let this behavior go
"oh we don't want to get involved"
"oh he's just like that"
"oh I'm scared"

And in reminiscing I was intrigued
I've always considered myself a marshmallow
A weakling
But when confronted by moments of injustice
I react in anger
Sometimes stupid anger that could have caused me harm
But not something I had time to ponder

When that boyfriend slapped me and I kicked his motorcycle down
it wasn't until I was being chased that I thought uh-oh
When that mugger hit me in the chin and I pushed him into the fence
it wasn't until the cop chastised me that I thought yeah that was stupid
When that guy grabbed my butt in Mexico and I punched him in the face
it wasn't until my uncle asked who had hit Mr. So and So that I thought damn
When being told to choose between work and family
Or to keep quiet
But still, how dare they
What gives people the right to think they can get away with anything
We do
Because we let them

And as I sat in the hospital I called hubby
to see how his meeting was going with the condo neighbor and inspector
The kid and his Dad had already decided on the cause
and refused to listen to the inspector's findings

I listened as hubby talked about what we should do
I listened as he became frustrated
I thought about being quiet
thought about letting 'the man' take care of man business
Laughed at that thought reminding myself 'since when'
I thought about that neighbor and how he talks to his wife
How she jumps

And decided I'm talking to a lawyer tomorrow
I'm not going to be bullied into something
by some weekend-warrior who thinks intimidation is going to work with me
And I didn't even get angry

I must have been a cowboy in a past life
And got killed in the process; but I bet I stood up for myself 
So my Mama is bandaged up
and in a nursing/rehab home
I'll be there tomorrow
trying to find out how fast we can spring her so I can bring her home with me
~ ~ ~
I'm not trying to pat myself on the back
I hope it doesn't sound like that
Just words as I try to understand the world I live in

5 comments:

  1. Having been bullied as a child I understand and remember all to well how it feels. Someone else is trying to exercise control over our lives through fear and intimidation. Some of us allow it, some accept it and some don´t. It takes courage and sometimes anger (fight or flight) to re assert control over our lives where another would take it from us. So good for you Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your Mom will heal quickly and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your mama gets well quickly! But how nice that she will be spending time in your home. Time for lots of good coversation and who knows what will come out of that?!?!
    I have often thought that my mother-in-law is a bully and I think you have just confirmed it for me! Long story. This coming weekend we will be driving 5 hrs. north to celebrate my father-in-laws 80th b-day. Hopefully she will behave herself (not likely). I don't know WHY we let her get away with it---I guess so we can preserve our relationship with hubby's dad. But then I ask, why does HE put up with it?!?!? No one has figured that one out! Sorry I'm rambling away here again! It's just that the subject of bullying touches a nerve very close to home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damned bullies. Sometimes I think people bully because they were hurt themselves. Sometimes I think they're just egotistical assholes. Regardless of the reason, I tend to be excellent at sticking up for victims unless that victim is myself. How bad is that! I feel ashamed even saying it but it's true and if I say it and see it perhaps I can change it.
    So sorry your mama fell. Huge ((hugs)) to her. So glad she has you and your sister there to watch over her and help her heal.
    Sending healing vibes her way.
    Lots of love.
    Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to pat yourself on the back for what you know you do right, Elena !
    So sorry for your Momma ! I hope she heals quickly and well. Take good care of you while you are taking care of her.
    Hugs and LOve to you, Brave One !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. You are my fellow travelers in life's journey and I respect your words of wisdom.

Or click here to send me an email
Email me!

Peace!